one question about the movie "mission of honor"

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
how in the world do you make a movie, in Britain, about WWII fighter pilots, flying for the RAF fighting german airplanes and NOT use "aces high"?

no wonder it flopped

The only reason I watch movies about the Brits in WW2 is to learn how they saved the world all by themselves.
And it seems the Spitfire even had a German designed wing.
(You really don't want my opinion about Iron Maiden's disjointed screeching.:poke:)
:mob:

20191116_132709_1573928851247.jpeg
20191116_132639_1573928851724.jpeg
20191116_132649_1573928851590.jpeg
20191116_132659_1573928851411.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_12-55-34.jpeg
upload_2019-11-20_12-58-54.jpeg

The bf109 probably was the best fighter in 1940. Fuel injection, supercharger, and superior firepower. Despite that, my cousin got one with his Spitfire. Here he is in Egypt with a Hurricane in 1942.

sherk.jpg

The only reason I watch movies about the Brits in WW2 is to learn how they saved the world all by themselves.

Dunno, how about The Soviets stand at Stalingrad? What would Germany get with Britain? A bunch of uncooperative occupies, and the denial of the largest airbase in the world for future American use against Nazi Europe, the island itself ? Now what would Germany get with their victory at Stalingrad? Maybe the surrender of the entire Soviet Army, and one less front for the Germans to fight on, bolstering their North African line and an eventual push into resource rich Africa itself. Lots of speculation on what could have been (Man in the high castle). Think about the Japanese moving all the way into India, the Germans controlling the entire Soviet army and land mass, and then conquering African countries on by one, conscripting the peoples to bolster their Army even further. North America and Mexico would be all alone as South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile) were already leaning toward the axis powers. Although I don't believe that Germany or Japan wanted anything to do with the US homeland expansion wise: Much too far, powerful and united for any type of assault. Scary stuff indeed.

Seems to me the thing that killed napoleon was the same thing that stopped the germans, a Russian winter

The entire 6th army died at stalingrad

The entire 6th army died at stalingrad

Or was surrendered. I dated a girl whose father was one of the survivors. The Russians kept him a prisoner for two years after the war ended. He went home to Germany, married his sweetheart, and they came to the U.S. in the '50s. I had no idea, until I picked her up one night to go out. She told me she had to call her parents, and when I offered to leave her alone to talk, she said I could stay right there. She then conversed with them in German, and told me the story that night.

Dunno, how about The Soviets stand at Stalingrad? What would Germany get with Britain? A bunch of uncooperative occupies, and the denial of the largest airbase in the world for future American use against Nazi Europe, the island itself ? Now what would Germany get with their victory at Stalingrad? Maybe the surrender of the entire Soviet Army, and one less front for the Germans to fight on, bolstering their North African line and an eventual push into resource rich Africa itself. Lots of speculation on what could have been (Man in the high castle). Think about the Japanese moving all the way into India, the Germans controlling the entire Soviet army and land mass, and then conquering African countries on by one, conscripting the peoples to bolster their Army even further. North America and Mexico would be all alone as South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile) were already leaning toward the axis powers. Although I don't believe that Germany or Japan wanted anything to do with the US homeland expansion wise: Much too far, powerful and united for any type of assault. Scary stuff indeed.

I had a revelation while watching this.
In 1939 Hitler still had all his marbles.
The construction of Siegfried Line is prima facie evidence that he had no intention of going west against France or Britain at the time.

Side Note: Since Britain and France declared war on Germany first, the German movement into France was not an invasion.
It was an offensive action.
(Per the pilot below.)

"We were separated. It should not be". (That they should be allowed to talk)

See also what allied intelligence did in this situation.

"Are we mad to fight each other? ....Adolf Hitler had made so many suggestions"
(Or something to that effect.)
But by the end of the war....."propaganda"..

Many other sources seem to confirm that Hitler wanted no war against Britain.
Hitler stopped Guderian from moving against the British trapped at Dunkirk.
Was that mere stupidity?
Or a deliberate overture?
The pilot seems to think it was deliberate.

British abuse of Egyptians.
"My dear boy, when you can jump come to us".
Funny. Huh?
Stuka pilot interview 51: Interrogation by Polish RAF major.

"What have you done to Poland?"
"Don't you know about Bloody Sunday"?

Stuka pilot interview 51: Interrogation by Polish RAF major.

Stuka pilot interview 53: Trip to Canada on ship as POW.

"Liefull (sic) propaganda"

Stuka pilot interview 17: Sinking of Mountbatten's ship "Kelly"

Last edited:
The bf109 probably was the best fighter in 1940. Fuel injection, supercharger, and superior firepower. Despite that, my cousin got one with his Spitfire. Here he is in Egypt with a Hurricane in 1942.

View attachment 1715426271
Didn’t the German aces also have methanol injection? My favorite read about that era was the American ‘Clover leaf’ technique that they developed to dominate other pilots in combat.

Didn’t the German aces also have methanol injection? My favorite read about that era was the American ‘Clover leaf’ technique that they developed to dominate other pilots in combat.

Yes, the Daimler 12 cylinder did have methanol injection as an anti-- detonation mechanism. I don't know if it was automatically engaged if an analog sensor detected detonation, or if it was manually applied.

Yes, the Daimler 12 cylinder did have methanol injection as an anti-- detonation mechanism. I don't know if it was automatically engaged if an analog sensor detected detonation, or if it was manually applied.
I read that the pilots could manually engage the methanol injection nd that it gave them a significant boost of speed when needed.

how in the world do you make a movie, in Britain, about WWII fighter pilots, flying for the RAF fighting german airplanes and NOT use "aces high"?
^^
leadfoot ?? please do opine

-
Back