Only about half annoyed, I am

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Had a doctor's appointment today what they call "wellness visit."

I like this doctor, who I got hooked up with when I broke my ribs. Unfortunately she's hooked up with "Kootenai Health" the local area megaglomerate, and for that reason alone I dislike "the outfit."

So I go in and the usual stupid questionaires two in particular

One dealt with "Ok-ing" that this is a "wellness" visit which gets billed "differently" and is not to be used for this or that, otherwise I should have a "regular visit" or get "double billed." Christ!!! Are you people incredible or WHAT

So this got done as a "regular visit" I guess.

The REALLY annoying one-- (bear in mind this is in Idaho) was a one sheet deal questioning me "Did I use higher than normal prescription doses of opoids" and "Did I use NON prescribed opoids?

I read this thing and it's the UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON PSYCHIATRIC dept. I put down "FU" only I did not use the "short form" and wrote "I DO NOT USE ILLEGAL DRUGS"

And then I said something to the staff. They told me "it's a study and I don't have to participate." Well, THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY SAID when they handed me this form!!!

Amazingly my blood pressure was not elevated. Must be something wrong with their instruments!!! And amazingly, my A1C is still "below" the "bad" side

Last edited:
HMO's are not all that great in my opinion. At my age I see my internist twice a year, I've heard the term wellness but when the nurse asks what am I in for today, I tell her a "follow up". Id think a wellness visit would also want you to have blood work and just keep in mind a once a year visit to your GP plus blood work can save your life

Well glad your numbers are good at least. lol

HMO's are not all that great in my opinion. At my age I see my internist twice a year, I've heard the term wellness but when the nurse asks what am I in for today, I tell her a "follow up". Id think a wellness visit would also want you to have blood work and just keep in mind a once a year visit to your GP plus blood work can save your life
She had ordered blood work. There's also a test we are going to do for colon cancer, not that I'm "historically" in that zone

Ive heard about that test for colon cancer.... I have to read more about it.... Id guess in-between colonoscopies its a good thing. PSA and digital rectum once a year also

My doctor told me once during the annual wellness check, "Well, let's get the prostate exam over with. It's my least favorite part." I told him I was glad to hear that, because I would really have been unhappy if he had said it was his favorite part.

I'm always made to fill out a "mental health" questionnaire at each visit.

I keep threatening to simply ball it up and throw it in the corner.

Ive heard about that test for colon cancer.... I have to read more about it.... Id guess in-between colonoscopies its a good thing. PSA and digital rectum once a year also
I get one every year. "Like on tv". Cologuard or what ever. Collect a few samples and mail in the kit. A lot more fun than a colonoscopy every few years.

My doctor is not a MD but a APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse). She is pleasant and very thorough. I feel like I can ask her about anything. She found my failing mitral heart valve during a visit that wasn't even a check up/yearly physical. She's a good gal.

R
My doctor told me once during the annual wellness check, "Well, let's get the prostate exam over with. It's my least favorite part." I told him I was glad to hear that, because I would really have been unhappy if he had said it was his favorite part.
I just reseached that, get a PSA prostate specific antigen test. Much better indicator.

She had ordered blood work. There's also a test we are going to do for colon cancer, not that I'm "historically" in that zone
My mom had cancer, so even though I'm young (38) I had my first colonoscopy a few years ago
It went as well as one could expect, but according to the wife I made a little bit of an off color remark when the doc came to check up on me afterwards
Apparently it is rude to ask if "she enjoyed the view"

My mom had cancer, so even though I'm young (38) I had my first colonoscopy a few years ago
It went as well as one could expect, but according to the wife I made a little bit of an off color remark when the doc came to check up on me afterwards
Apparently it is rude to ask if "she enjoyed the view"

LOLOLOL!!! I had one a few years back. The two assistants were hotties. One of them would have looked great in latex LOL

And you weren’t asked if you own a gun?

The other outfit I used to be hooked up with pulled that **** some time back. Remember, this is "North Idaho." I raised some hell and made it clear that one was going nowhere.

And you weren’t asked if you own a gun?
I was asked (on some form) that exact question.......Left it blank.......I think it has to do with finding out of your a firearm owner and if or when you ever come down with mental issues
Its not that they are prying or are anti gun...... Ive seen exactly this happen, a guy I was tight with was a gun owner....At some point with out going into details he suffered depression and other mental issue.....He had thought of suicide and was committed for a week, he told me he hadn't slept in something like 4 days....He told me he couldn't think straight
At some point all his rifles were removed from his home
Some years later he tried again to kill himself, this time it was overdose from pills. His son found him unconscious and close to death...
He's better now but it was the right call to remove firearms from his possession when he wasn't mentally right in the mind

Ask your doctor is about all I can say and will say...... At some point in time all men need a digital rectal
:rofl:

thermometer2.png

I get one every year. "Like on tv". Cologuard or what ever. Collect a few samples and mail in the kit. A lot more fun than a colonoscopy every few years.
I thought the colonoscopy was up to five years with no indication of a problem, sooner if there was a issue....... These mail in tests are good but nothing like taking a actual look.....Last time I had some polyps, they were sampled and benign....Thank God

I thought the colonoscopy was up to five years with no indication of a problem, sooner if there was a issue....... These mail in tests are good but nothing like taking a actual look.....Last time I had some polyps, they were sampled and benign....Thank God
I was scheduled for one every 5 but they skipped it this time because of the clean samples in the last 3 years. Colon cancer is slow growing but will how up in a stool sample test. Those tests are way cheaper for insurance and Medicare than a colonoscopy.

Last edited:
FYI, average cost of a colonoscopy in the US is $2750. A Cologuard test is $500. If you think of it that way 5 Cologuard tests is about the same cost as a colonoscopy once every 5 years. Minimally invasive. Less chance of perforation. (which can kill you)

I was scheduled for one every 5 but they skipped it this time because of the clean samples in the last 3 years. Colon cancer is slow growing but will how up in a PSA or stool sample test. Those 2 tests are way cheaper for insurance and Medicare than a colonoscopy.
And there is the problem, money and insurance. I was unaware colon cancer will show up in a PSA.....
I have a GP, excellent doctor who once told me the thing with cancer is so many cancers can be cured with early detection and the bad part is when exams weren't taken and those cancers grew
My PSA is less than 1 % and for almost 70 that's great, but when I went to see the urologist for issue he did a digital and let me tell you he had his finger up there for like what seemed a. eternity, pushing probing
When he was done he told me he felt a nodule, he told me because my PSA was so low the risk of cancer was very low but he wanted to do a probe were they stick this thing up your *** like a sonogram to be sure
After the test he told me it could just be a lump in the rectum or califaction....
The PA told me last visit that your PSA can be normal, your prostate not enlarged and you could still have prostate cancer so im looking at two PSA and digital rectal twice a year for a very long time and if this thing gets bigger or PSA numbers increase, a prostate biopsy
Whats the alternative?
So far im lucky and I intend to keep it that way God willing
When I see what my wife has had to endure the last 11 years and what she has to look forward to in the future, getting a finger shoved up my butt is a small price to pay
The bottom line is talk to your Doctors and follow what they say......Good health and blessings to all

And there is the problem, money and insurance. I was unaware colon cancer will show up in a PSA.....
I have a GP, excellent doctor who once told me the thing with cancer is so many cancers can be cured with early detection and the bad part is when exams weren't taken and those cancers grew
My PSA is less than 1 % and for almost 70 that's great, but when I went to see the urologist for issue he did a digital and let me tell you he had his finger up there for like what seemed a. eternity, pushing probing
When he was done he told me he felt a nodule, he told me because my PSA was so low the risk of cancer was very low but he wanted to do a probe were they stick this thing up your *** like a sonogram to be sure
After the test he told me it could just be a lump in the rectum or califaction....
The PA told me last visit that your PSA can be normal, your prostate not enlarged and you could still have prostate cancer so im looking at two PSA and digital rectal twice a year for a very long time and if this thing gets bigger or PSA numbers increase, a prostate biopsy
Whats the alternative?
So far im lucky and I intend to keep it that way God willing
When I see what my wife has had to endure the last 11 years and what she has to look forward to in the future, getting a finger shoved up my butt is a small price to pay
The bottom line is talk to your Doctors and follow what they say......Good health and blessings to all
Ya, that prostate exam is another thing. My bad, PSa is for prostate and not colon. I will edit my post. There's always a discussion at the Dr about both. My PSA numbers have been low and no urination issues so I haven't had a prostate exam for a few years now.

-
Back