Only half my lights work

-

phaelax

Reaction score
I have headlights and highbeams but no taillights or brake lights. The right blinker works fine in the front and back. The left blinker has a solid light on the rear and nothing up front. I checked the bulbs, replaced a few, but it didn't do anything differently. Also, on the dash I'll get a right turn signal but nothing to indicate left. Any thoughts?

Poor ground is what I would look for first. Do you have a continuity tester?
C

Poor ground is what I would look for first. Do you have a continuity tester?
C

That'd be where to start for sure, and a really easy way to check if a ground is a problem is to take a long ground wire off the battery and go around the car with it.
Turn on whatever doesn't work and touch your wire to it's ground, and if it starts working you know the ground is the issue.
Since there is at least one working signal we know at least some of the brake/signal harness works.
First thing I'd check for the brake lights in this case would be the brake light switch or it's adjustment. (The brake lights and signals use the same wires from the dash back, so brake light power isn't getting there, but we know the wires work on at least one side)

When these problems occur, I always go to the last thing on the car that was disturbed.

You been under the dash recently, or has the car just come back from the workshop?

Then just drive it when it's half dark.

I have recently worked on the dash wiring but this has been an issue for awhile. I havent bothered with it until now because I'm having to drive it daily. (Engine is toast in my 300)
I'll check the wires under that kick panel first then see about the grounds.

Left front signal fixture has fault in chassis ground. In this condition the dash left turn indicator bulb comes on with park lamps. That indicator bulb is likely burned out now.

-
Back