Operation Plan "B"

-

MrDuster1

74 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
I decided to post the story of how Plan “B” actually came about. I was about to finish my Vega project when I began to watch ebay for an a-body. I had a 74 Duster in high school with a 318 and 3 speed stick. I loved that car. So did the guy who stole it. Right out of my driveway 1 night. Never saw it again. Bought another car and never looked back. So 20 years later, (or so) I got the mopar bug again. Began looking on ebay just to see what they’re going for. Holy pooh! Better keep looking. A year goes by and I see this car that looks good, right before Christmas, maybe I have a chance. So I bid 950.00. with 1 day to go, just minutes before bidding stops, the price starts jumping. I say to myself “Rob, bid no more than 2k” Bidding stops at 2 k, and it’s mine. Get up early on Saturday and head for Indy with car trailer in tow. Get to the house in decent time, and check out the car. Car has never run since rebuild 383 and 4 speed, rally wheels, buckets wit seat covers, but you know the story.. looked better in the pic. And this guy had a couple nice rides. He was the friend of the seller who had title and keys, and even though I had all my receipts thru ebay and paypal I didn’t trust this guy. Over his car in the garage was a sign that said Diehard. Something familiar about that. Something UN-settling. Oh well, load and go back to Michigan. Oh the trip home I had plenty of time to think, and I kept going back to that sign. It was a derivative of the screen-name of the guy bidding against me. I was livid!!! :tool: I went home and made a complaint to ebay and paypal. They would look into it. I gave them my sellers address, the address of where car was at, and the name of the guy I met to get car. If they would’ve dug into it, they would have matched his name with screen name and address to prove it was a shrill bid. But no, f**k me and f**k him too!!. The next day I unload car into garage and it rolls off trailer like a bat out of hell, hitting the divider wall between the 2 back bays of my garage and pushing back wall out 2 inches. F**k me again; and F**k him again too!! Anyway, I decide to sell my buddy the 383 for 750.00 and go with a small block instead. I buy a 318 complete off ebay in Chicago for 125.00 and go get it. Then the wife and I decide to sell to get away from school system. Attention All Personnel, All projects are now officially on HOLD!! We move and sell the big garage along with house and into the new house. 1 day I have to go to Indiana to look at a project for work. I decide to drive down US 12 to look for mopars and such. I actually found a guy that had 2 Dusters, 2 Ramchargers, and a host of other desirables. I turned around so fast!! Both were 74’s and very decent. 1 was red, the other pale blue. I give the number a call and the guy says he’d be right over. So while I wait I check them over real good and weigh the pros and cons. While I check them out, Samson checked me out real well. Samson was the 120 LB rottwhiler. Seemed friendly enough, but so did Jeffery Dalmer. I stayed under the car until the guy showed up. Made the deal, $1600.00 no motor or trans. I bought the red car with fat tires and decent paint. Now I have 2 Dusters… what will I call it? My wife says call it Plan “B”!! With the 2 cars side by side it was a no-brainer. May I have your attention please? Abort Plan “A”, we’re going to Plan “B”. And so it begins…

Plan “A” is blue, Plan “B” is red. Both look good in the pics but 1 is true.

DSC00864 (600 x 450) (198 x 148).jpg

100_1752.JPG

DSC00838 (211 x 158).jpg

DSC00839 (211 x 158).jpg

Good story..... Ya have to watch them suckers on ebay...for sure. Good place to buy and sell but also a great place to get ripped off. Love the part about the dog, I'm sure it wasn't funny to you. Had that happen to me at a junkyard many years ago...went after a part and the guy say ,just go down back and look. ... Didn't tell me about this mean *** dog, put me right on the hood of a car. Then the guy just calls the dog off , laughs a little and says ...hey he wouldnt hurt a flee....YA RIGHT !!! Anyways nice cars...

He was a pussycat but hey ..he was 120 lbs and did I mention he was 120 lbs? He just looked hungry.... Thanks

Well, I tell ya, Ma mopar had a side business for sure. It was her seam sealer business. I spent most of the day removing about 5 gallons from the car. Suprisingly enough that stuff must work because there was no rust to be seen. Nice clean metal underneath. Car is almost completely stripped to be sent to media blaster in 2 weeks. Still need to remove bumpers and rear axle assembly. Im sending doors, trunk lid, hood, fenders and body to be walnut shelled. Interior, exterior, and underside all for 1200.00. Ill post before and after pics real soon.

-
Back