Opines or facts please

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
I have two heat insulators to choose from to try on my car. One is from Holley, a 1/2" item made of layers of gooped paper. The second is a resin impregnated/phenolic looking piece.

The Holley piece is compressible as evidenced by the hard plastic bits used in the mounting holes. The resin piece is hard...not compressible at all.

Anyone with experience with either/both of these? Is one a given better insulator over the other?

This isn't a great big deal. I'm just curious if there is a plethora of opinion one way or the other.

Thanks.

Phenolic plastic is an awful good heat insulator, may require gaskets. The holley may not, but if it is used and old, it may require gaskets.

The plastic one requires a thin paper gasket on either side.

The really cool one to fine is the spread bore Chevy heat plate that was used on a spread bore Holley in like 69 camaros I believe. It was aluminum with stapled gaskets on either side (fits thermoquads) and has the firing order stamped in front.
I had a few years ago for all my thermoquads when you could buy the the part new from Chevrolet.

In order from worst to best:

Aluminum
Phenolic resin
Wood

Aluminum is basically an extension of your intake. Heat just runs right up like a hoard of marauding Mongols!

Phenolic resin is actually not to bad. It’s closer to a semi congested traffic circle.

Wood is the best.

I have this Holley version. If your saying it has plastic type inserts at the mount holes then they must have cheaped it down (or maybe they are better) a little as the one I have has aluminum inserts like shown here. But it works (along with other things I’ve done to thwart heat soak) in my oppressive oven of a dog house environment.
As you can see the shield extends front/rear under the Holley bowls. Still holding up almost 4 years later not separating or falling apart. I do use gaskets on both sides because I want to.

6FFDAE02-CB8B-45DA-B5BE-3ADE759F39C2.jpeg

Here is the ONLY a carb insulator I have tested that actually worked. The ONLY one that I could measure an actual temperature drop at the carb. I think it was 15 degrees. That was about 5 years ago so I forget how much it was, but none of the others dropped a single degree.

- Home

I have this Holley version. If your saying it has plastic type inserts at the mount holes then they must have cheaped it down (or maybe they are better) a little as the one I have has aluminum inserts like shown here.But it works (along with other things I’ve done to thwart heat soak) in my oppressive oven of a dog house environment.
As you can see the shield extends front/rear under the Holley bowls. Still holding up almost 4 years later not separating or falling apart. I do use gaskets on both sides because I want to.

View attachment 1716043388

My Holley does have nylon inserts at the mount holes..it is black, does NOT look like yours. Different version or just a different item, I couldn't say. What I'm referring to is a spacer that is part of a heat shield 'kit' from Holley, but is it's own piece.

Yes. The resin spacer will require a gasket on both sides of it. The Holley spacer would NOT require gaskets...it's already a gasket-like material.

Not a factory carb, no electric choke.

The heat shield part of the install isn't part of the question. IT is a separate piece. IT is from Holley. IT is aluminum.

I didn't bother with pics, don't figure they would be useful. If anyone cares, ask and I'll be glad to snap a couple of shots.

Last edited:
-
Back