Opinion on thin wheel spacer on front wheel

-

340doc

Reaction score
I asking for a coworker who asked me if its ok to run a 1/4" wheel spacer on his front wheel. I have no experience with spacers on the front, and figured someone on here might have. Its on a aftermarket aluminum wheel with taper lug nuts. Its a 73 Dart with disc. The spacers I've seen in the past have had a oval hole and don't fit tight around the stud. We looked them up on Summit and found some from Billet specialties that specified "Stud Centric", and seemed to center on the studs. This would alleviate my concern of not having support for the area directly behind where the lug seats on the rim. What's your thoughts? Safe?

Last edited:
I asking for a coworker who asked me if its ok to run a 1/4" wheel spacer on his front wheel. I have no experience with spacers on the front, and figured someone on here might have. Its on a aftermarket aluminum wheel with taper lug nuts. Its a 73 Dart with disc. The spacers I've seen in the past have had a oval hole and don't fit tight around the stud. We looked them up on Summit and found some from Billet specialties that specified "Stud Centric", and seemed to center on the studs. This would alleviate my concern of not having support for the area directly behind where the lug seats on the rim. What's your thoughts? Safe?
I have a 64 Fairlane I did a PST disc bake conversion on the front. I have torque Thrust D's with a Ford off set.
I had to get a 3/16" spacer as the wheels hit the calipers. I really didn't like the idea of a spacer but had no choice.
I got the spacers at a Mustang specialty place as the parts stores sell 1/4" and thicker spacers and I wanted the thinnest one I could get.

Wilwood makes a steel spacer specifically for mounting on their disc brake hub. It's the only spacer I've found that is actually large enough in diameter to fully support the contact ridges on the factor style rims. They designed it to protect their aluminum hub flange.

I had to enlarge the lug holes to allow the spacer to seat flush on the hub flange, as the shoulder of the wheel studs was holding it up from doing just that.

I also installed slightly longer studs to compensate for the thickness the spacer added.

In my case, I have these on the rear wheels for increased tire to leaf spring clearance.

I have a 64 Fairlane I did a PST disc bake conversion on the front. I have torque Thrust D's with a Ford off set.
I had to get a 3/16" spacer as the wheels hit the calipers. I really didn't like the idea of a spacer but had no choice.
I got the spacers at a Mustang specialty place as the parts stores sell 1/4" and thicker spacers and I wanted the thinnest one I could get.
How have they held up? Were the spacers you used bolt pattern specific?

Wilwood makes a steel spacer specifically for mounting on their disc brake hub. It's the only spacer I've found that is actually large enough in diameter to fully support the contact ridges on the factor style rims. They designed it to protect their aluminum hub flange.

I had to enlarge the lug holes to allow the spacer to seat flush on the hub flange, as the shoulder of the wheel studs was holding it up from doing just that.

I also installed slightly longer studs to compensate for the thickness the spacer added.

In my case, I have these on the rear wheels for increased tire to leaf spring clearance.
The Wilwood spacer sounds like a tight fitting spacer on the studs which would be ideal. How thick are they?

The Wilwood spacer sounds like a tight fitting spacer on the studs which would be ideal. How thick are they?
I have only driven maybe 500 miles since I put them on. Retorqued the wheels initially but have not checked since.
Ford, AMC and Mopar BBP are the same, 5X4.5 bolt pattern.

I have only driven maybe 500 miles since I put them on. Retorqued the wheels initially but have not checked since.
Ford, AMC and Mopar BBP are the same, 5X4.5 bolt pattern.
I guess I should have worded it better. I meant were the spacers for the 4 1/2" BP only, or more of a universal spacer. Thanks Lee.

I ran a set on the front of the valiant ( 1/4" thick ) because the 15" wheels I was running hit the calipers ( have the larger 11.75 Cordoba rotors ). I always torque my lugs. never had an issue, I have since switched to 17" wheels.

I ran a set on the front of the valiant ( 1/4" thick ) because the 15" wheels I was running hit the calipers ( have the larger 11.75 Cordoba rotors ). I always torque my lugs. never had an issue, I have since switched to 17" wheels.
Appreciate your input. How long did you run them?

It's totally ok to run a quality spacer. hub centric is preferred but it will be fine.

-
Back