Opinion? Paint Color - Similar to Period Correct or Something Modern?

Which Color Red?

• Viper Red

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Stryker Red

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters
-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know the final decision is all mine because I'm the one paying the bill, but I'm curious about opinions of paint colors for our half-century-old Mopars.
My '69 Dart is coming up for some color in about a week and I'm torn between two different reds. My build is not a factory resto, not even a restomod. Just the combo I want it to be.
My first Mopar was a '69 Dart 340 Swinger in R4 red with a white butt stripe. For years I've been planning on doing my current build finished in Viper Red with a white butt stripe. Nice and BRIGHT!
But over the weekend I saw some pics of Stryker Red and really liked it.
Decisions! Decisions!

Viper Red

ViperRed.jpg

StrykerRed.jpg

Stryker Red

Last edited:
Stryker red. Presuming your body work is straight, that color red in a base/clear will look amazing!

I pretty much agree with going with a period correct color. Mopar had some beautiful colors during the Muscle Car Years. You should be able to find something nice. I have seen some modern colors that looked OK on 69 Darts and Barracudas, but for the most part I usually am not a fan.

It is tough trying to find a modern color to compliment older cars. The body lines on the older cars tend to create more shadowing, so if you're looking at paint on new cars you might want to keep that in mind. Believe it ore not newer pickups are more representative of how a color would appear on an older car. There are some nice modern colors that would look really good on an A body but some only look good with "busy" bodylines and rely on shadowing to catch attention. Mine is 2012 Ram Tequila Sunrise, Have you considered 2017 Dodge Octane Red or 2016 Ram Delmonico Red?

I'm not fond of "red" cars.
Red is for lipstick and firetrucks.
But to each his own.
That's what different colors are for.
I voted for the "Hemi Orange" viper.
I had a friend that kept telling me to paint my T8 car........ orange.
And I wanted to lighten it up so it would not be so hot.
So one time when I was going to paint it, I got one coat of a metallic burnt orange paint on it.
It looked like a Chevy.
So I went back to the paint store and got more T8.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with going with a period correct color. Mopar had some beautiful colors during the Muscle Car Years. You should be able to find something nice. I have seen some modern colors that looked OK on 69 Darts and Barracudas, but for the most part I usually am not a fan.

I agree, but it is your $$ and your opinion that matter!!

Hey Ken, long time, no see!
I recommend you get as large a sample of each color as you can and put each color up against your interior colors, chrome trim, etc. to get an idea of what they all look like together. Wheel and tire combo also play a part in the overall picture.
On the Stryker, I think if the stripe is painted on, you could add some pearl or metal flake to the white so it enhances the combination.

speaking of living with it - that Viper Red will burn you retina out - the old "you can't shut that color off" thing - the Stryker Red is very cool.. very cool indeed

I believe that brighter Viper Red is going to look better on that 69 Dart than the even more modern Stryker Red. I went with a 69 correct paint code, albeit not the original color of my car.

The color on my 68 dart gt is pp1 red and when it is done being fixed and ready for paint, I am going to go with the same color but try and use that clear that makes it look wet. they have a name for it but I don't know what it is. The result of this paint is awesome looking and looks real deep. I was going to go with a modern car color but talked with other mopar owners and they agreed that it should be original paint. My vote for you is the viper red because it really makes your car stand out and be noticed. Good luck and like many of the members said it is your car and you should do whatever makes you happy.

..you can get sick of hi impact colors over time.
These old relics were special just the way they came as far as looks are concerned.

high impact colors? back in the day they were popular. back in late 80's early 90's (no joke)...before, I had enough of the E body deal, I owned 6 AARs and TA's 5 of the six, were OEM lime green cars, and owned 4 v code challengers and a cuda, ALL 4 were oem purple......
I really would not care to own another lime or purple car again...
white is still one of my fav colors!

-
Back