Opinion? Pump to carb line.

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
So what would you do for a fuel line between a mechanical pump and the carb: Braided stainless flex line or bend up a metal line with fittings?

I liked the braided -AN lines with no hassle of bending the lines. Very simple. Did enough of that with the fuel lines from the tank and the brake lines.

I agree stock=metal lines

If your looking for the stock look then steel. I like the braided lines myself. Of course I like my cars modified.

Fred B

It's all personal preference. If you can go either way and don't have a pre-bent fuel line and you are not very confidant about bending them, then a flex setup may be the way to go.

It may not be stock but being it will have a stock type mechanical pump I would run a hard line so it looked stock. Unless you are going after the non-stock look then use a braided line. I like the hard line because it can be bent and shaped to fit around or behind things like alternators and brackets.

Got a pic of your motor?

Chuck

I like the clean look of steel (or SS Steel) lines with AN fittings. I'm just learning how to bend them. I used 3/8ths steel tubing from the local chain parts store and AN -6 fittings. To shine them up a little I used green scotch pads to buff them.

My build mentor showed me how to use the bender and flare tool. This is my first attempt. Came out right the first time!!! I'm SURE that will never happen again. To keep them from rusting I'll shoot some clear coat on them. Eventually will redux them in ss steel.

One problem is that the AN fittings (and braided hose if you go that route) gets expensive FAST. I was surprised how fast it added up.

One thing I do like is that I bought some Earl's AN -6 plugs and caps to plug the lines when I pull the carb off for maintenance. Maybe over kill, but for a few dollars (the cheapest of the fittings I bought) I can keep the fuel from continuing to leak and keep the debris out.

340 with Holley_4010.jpg

340 Carter Fuel Pump and micro fuel filter.jpg

Here's a pic, Chuck. I've decided not to run the 750 in the picture but switch it for a 850 DP.

EngineCompart.jpg

JMO But I really think it would look nice with braided line. That is a sweet looking motor. Again JMO.

Fred B

-
Back