Opinions needed!!! '78 Dodge Ramcharger. Should I buy it???

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello FABO! Driving around this morning, after dropping my girlfriend off work, I find this '78 Ramcharger for sale. I get out immediately to check it out, and do a walk around and managed to snap a couple photos from my phone. Overall it's in pretty dang good shape, mainly all stock, 4X4 with a 360. I fell in love with it and now I think I really want it, haha. It even has the original blue california license plates, lol, not a big deal, but neat to me! He's asking $2800 FIRM...What do you guys think??

I know nothing about the dodge line of pickup trucks/4X4's. I have a '77 Chevy 3/4 ton long bed and I love that truck. My brother is a big chevy fan, and doesn't care for the dodge trucks...So I'm looking to hear what you guys have to say....????

Here are the pics! Tell me what you think, because I kinda want it. lol

downsized_0402110753-1.jpg

downsized_0402110753a.jpg

downsized_0402110753b.jpg

downsized_0402110755b.jpg

downsized_0402110754.jpg

downsized_0402110754a.jpg

downsized_0402110756.jpg

downsized_0402110755a.jpg

If it's a Ramcharger you're really looking for, that's not one. That's a W150 short bed truck with a camper shell.

Here's a Ramcharger. See the difference?

1978ramchargerse011907.jpg

Nice truck. A little pricey IMO. They are fun, but you do realize that gas is over 4 bucks a gallon and I remember mine being a huge pig. Still a heck of a lot of fun. Being a 78 and in California, you're gonna have to smog that thing every other year. I don't care if the sign says it will fly through a test, check to make sure everything is there or it will give you grief eventually.

I had a 73 2WD Club Cab with a 360 that got 9MPG. ...and it was in good tune.

haha, okay totally! there ya go, what do i know? lol even better. i do see the difference, the one u posted is similar to like a chevy's version blazer or ford's bronco, right?

Looks decent, but that thing is probably a huge gas hog. I wonder if it is a fulltime 4x4 model too as the majority of the '78 trucks I have seen are fulltime 4x4. It'd make a cool baja truck though, thats for sure.

And yes, its like that. Ramcharger = Blazer; D150 = 1500 chevy truck ; W150 = 1500 4x4 truck.

haha, okay totally! there ya go, what do i know? lol even better. i do see the difference, the one u posted is similar to like a chevy's version blazer or ford's bronco, right?

Correct. ..and it is being advertised as a Ramcharger but it is not. It is just a truck. An over priced truck.

I like it, even if it is just a truck. Personally I don't like the blue on it though. Especully on the brush guard. Bo and Luke Duke would kick your ***! :)

Nice truck. A little pricey IMO. They are fun, but you do realize that gas is over 4 bucks a gallon and I remember mine being a huge pig. Still a heck of a lot of fun. Being a 78 and in California, you're gonna have to smog that thing every other year. I don't care if the sign says it will fly through a test, check to make sure everything is there or it will give you grief eventually.

I see where ur comin from on the price... when I think of a similar truck, like a 78 chevy short bed 1/2 ton 4X4, I wouldn't pay that for it because it's a chevy, and very common, nothing special, just a short bed 1/2 ton with a 350. lol... But to me, it seems the dodges are not as common, more unique, i never see them around here. and i've been on the lookout for a dodge truck, but never came across any...

And I hear ya on the gas, my 77 chevy is a major gas guzzler, i only drive it every now and then, to cruise around, and enjoy a nice sunny day. lol this truck here is much nicer than mine though. lol and i have all kinds of speed parts id put on it, manifold, cam, headers, carb. lol

I do understand the smog part of it, my chevy is tuff to smog..:l but i'll make sure once i open the hood..

I'm not knockin it. "Just a truck" means it's just a truck, not a Ramcharger as it's being incorrectly advertised as. That should afford you a lot of leverage on price. Just because it's a Dodge, doesn't mean it is worth any more in terms of blue book than anything else comparable in the same year, so don't let excitement dictate how you deal. Your pocketbook will thank you for it.

I see where ur comin from on the price... when I think of a similar truck, like a 78 chevy short bed 1/2 ton 4X4, I wouldn't pay that for it because it's a chevy, and very common, nothing special, just a short bed 1/2 ton with a 350. lol... But to me, it seems the dodges are not as common, more unique, i never see them around here. and i've been on the lookout for a dodge truck, but never came across any...

And I hear ya on the gas, my 77 chevy is a major gas guzzler, i only drive it every now and then, to cruise around, and enjoy a nice sunny day. lol this truck here is much nicer than mine though. lol and i have all kinds of speed parts id put on it, manifold, cam, headers, carb. lol

I do understand the smog part of it, my chevy is tuff to smog..:l but i'll make sure once i open the hood..

I have a 76 GMC long bed DD. Got it for free w/o motor and threw in a 350 I had laying around. Been beating the hell out of it for 7 years. Got it smog ready, but it's still a pita. If I were you, I would keep my powder dry and wait for a Ramcharger. You can find them for a better price than that and if you find a 74 or 75, you don't have to smog it. Remember, Plymouth made Traildusters also.

I had a 73 2WD Club Cab with a 360 that got 9MPG. ...and it was in good tune.

I had a 74 4WD Reg cab long bed with a 360, and I would have been very happy to get 9mpg! Between the 360 being so thirsty, and the gearing, I would pull about 7.5 - 8 mpg. I sold it and purchase a mew 76 Tradesman Van 318/727 long wheel base and averaged about 13 mpg. I use to cal it my economy car.

Swapped in a 625 AFB, a 360 kickdown linkage, an Edelbrock Street Master manifold, set of headers, and an RV cam, and it gave me a little more performance, and about 2 mpg more!!!! I was livin'!

I'm not knockin it. "Just a truck" means it's just a truck, not a Ramcharger as it's being incorrectly advertised as. That should afford you a lot of leverage on price. Just because it's a Dodge, doesn't mean it is worth any more in terms of blue book than anything else comparable in the same year, so don't let excitement dictate how you deal. Your pocketbook will thank you for it.

I understand buddy. I'll call him this afternoon, get him out there, test drive it and try to talk him down telling him its w150 not a ramcharger! haha. $1800-2000 would be more doable anyways. lol

I have a 76 GMC long bed DD. Got it for free w/o motor and threw in a 350 I had laying around. Been beating the hell out of it for 7 years. Got it smog ready, but it's still a pita. If I were you, I would keep my powder dry and wait for a Ramcharger. You can find them for a better price than that and if you find a 74 or 75, you don't have to smog it. Remember, Plymouth made Traildusters also.

It's prolly gonna come to that, me waiting for something else to come by...heck, mopar spring fling is in 2 weeks...so i'll wait and see what I can find there. :)

That's a clean looking old Dodge and shorty 4x4s are pretty cool but like other have said,be prepared for awful fuel mileage especially with the full-time 4wd.

I'd imagine there will be lots of people dumping vehicles like this in the next while and very few buyers so don't be afraid to lowball the guy (within reason),leave your number,and wait for the call back when it does'nt sell.You could probably pick it up for $1500 and use the other $1300 to buy shares in the closest gas station.

-
Back