Opinions on cam selection

-
Rocket surgery at it's best. This is a street car that he wants to run decent. $500+ camshafts just seems a little pound foolish for the application.

Nobody spends your money better than OTHER people. :)

Im actually pretty proficient at spending my money. Its the making it I could use some help with !
Rocket surgery at it's best. This is a street car that he wants to run decent. $500+ camshafts just seems a little pound foolish for the application.

could not find on YB
he's buying a hyd roller cam
he already has the lifters and springs?
just trying to bump up his 2500-4000 torque

Last edited:
I have the lifters and springs .
The cam I ordered is essentially identical to a comp XM276HR

112 good
112 may fit the core better than 110 anyway
I like AVS or TQ
could you give piston number, deck clerance, head cc's I'm still unclear on how you came up with your CR
I'm in the middle of shopping for new valves- any suggestions so far it looks like SI
276- I thought you were looking at 268 post back when you get it together and post crank compression I'll stick it in my files
cheers
check what gear you need with that cam= dist gear may be different depending on the core/cam gear

Last edited:

Damn right!!!! I can spend your money like water if you let me. One of my favorite things to do. Guess I should have been a politician!

Pistons are stock 5.9s with 11cc dish. They look to be flush with the deck although others say stockers are .050 in the hole...seems to be varying reports on this.
Heads are 62cc chambers.
Gasket .047 ....I could go with Cometic .027 but I dont think it will make enough difference.

with that big cam I'd use the thin gasket get some quench if at all possible
dbl check me but comp website for XR274HR shows timing to be at .006 I think error should be .050 for those numbers
I'm going to compare the HR with the XE275HL
I take it your motor may not be apart yet- you can verify the piston clearance and cc's then but wait you have flow numbers- different heads? what casting # 446, 671, 714 or?

Pistons are stock 5.9s with 11cc dish. They look to be flush with the deck although others say stockers are .050 in the hole...seems to be varying reports on this.
Heads are 62cc chambers.
Gasket .047 ....I could go with Cometic .027 but I dont think it will make enough difference.
I checked my old 5.9 yesterday and they are definitely .050 in the hole.

5.9 pistons are .050 +- few .001 and have no quench as is. You have no valve reliefs in the OEM pistons so be sure to check P to V clearance. My 9.3:1 ran fine on 89 oct with a good tune. SCE has a good quality .040 head gasket.

I checked mine out before disassembling it and they were dam near flush with deck. Maybe some blocks get a little more whacked off the deck than other during final machining ?

I chose to stay under .530 lift be cause of Valve clearance. I could alway run the .027 gasket if needed.

Just for future rumination..... with the .047" head gasket you are around 8.95 SCR. With the .027" gasket, it will change to around 9.35. (That is assuming the pistons were indeed .050" in the hole, which seems likely; I doubt the deck would be anything but within +/-.005" from stock deck height. And 62 cc head chambers.) Gotta piston PN just to re-check?

If I had been on the ball and thought about your 2800' altitude earlier, I woulda nudged a bit harder towards a smaller cam duration; sorry to just think of that. Your cylinder pressure will be in the 120-130 psi range (even with the thinner head gaskets) which is not a lot different from a stock 318 at sea level. I'd sure consider advancing that cam a bit from the straight-up install that likely has the ICL at 108 degrees, see if the cam could be exchanged at this time, and think again about those thinner head gaskets.

It would seem logical that all 5.9s would have about the same piston height. I was suprised at how flush the piston
Was to the deck although I did not use a straight edge. And for that reason I refrained from having the block decked ( which I could still do ) or the heads shaved a bit. I figured it wouldnt be so bad if my static compression allowed me to use midgrade.
I will mock up the block and measure it exactly.

As I said earlier ...I already have a rocketship W2 Stroker in the works so this one doesnt need to be a class champion. I just dont want to squander too much of its potential.

I am looking for some feedback on a cam .

This is for a 5.9 build.
Stock bottom end
9.2 compression
IMM EQ heads w/ 260 cfm at .500 intake flow
Eddie Air Gap ( carb TBD)
Dougs headers
3400# 68 Cuda
3.23 or 3.55 gears
2500 stahl converter
Power brakes and steering

Looking for strong street driver with decent manners..

Cam is as follows
.510 lift with 1.6s
224/230 @ .050
276/280 advertised
110 LSA

What did I forget ?
Thanks for input
226@ .050, 112lca and about .550'ish lift...custom cam from me if you want one let me know. Will make over 425HP.

Actually I really wanted to have you order one for me but I have too many irons ($) in the fire and just couldnt pull the trigger on a 400$ cam.

I thought you had told me I would be limited to less than 520 lift with stock pistons and rockers ?
226@ .050, 112lca and about .550'ish lift...custom cam from me if you want one let me know. Will make over 425HP.

good choice
bronze guides?
what valves?
I think my current heads are RTs I got them from Mopar Performance maybe 20 years ago when stepfather overheated stock heads they are supposed to have stainless valves and HD springs IDK but most likely not bronze guides which makes your valves last longer
they were $200 ea complete- helps to know the dealers- unfortunately MP is history and my dealer friends have moved on
so what is a reasonable lift limit for stock rockers?
you were saying under .520 lift area and yet are getting a .540 lift cam
.050 duration seems ok but you notice is less than 274 FT hyd - that's just the mechanics of a flat flank roller- you can't duplicate a FT cam on the bottom end
still need to nail down that deck clearance B4 getting gaskets

Brian
was you suggestion at .050 for a FT or HR?
I can't tell if he has high 8 or mid 9 compression
IMHO he needs to nail down his deck clearance and compression BF choosing a gasket
I'd seal the rings with some grease and pour the chamber
IMHO that cam he ordered he spread out to 112 which cuts down on the DCR
if he is under 9 perhaps shorter or earlier intake close would have been better but thin gasket will help
Big cam for 323 gear but ok passing on the freeway
since I am doing basically the same build but starting with a 360 block which I have I think I'll find a 5.9 to start with and stroke it
not going to build the motor which is currently in the truck, takes too long, just swap

who ever said anything about spending 4-500 on a camshaft...
Yellow rose do you have a link to that YB thread?

who ever said anything about spending 4-500 on a camshaft...
Yellow rose do you have a link to that YB thread?

I don't know how to do it with this damn iPad. Makes me think I am as dumb as I think I am.

The thread is in the Uratcho engine section and it's still on the front page.

Damn iPad.

I have a lot of conversations with my electronic devices... mostly consisting of 4 letter words !

Actually I really wanted to have you order one for me but I have too many irons ($) in the fire and just couldnt pull the trigger on a 400$ cam.

I thought you had told me I would be limited to less than 520 lift with stock pistons and rockers ?
If your flush with the deck, and use a .039 gasket, then our 218-226@ .050 cam will work with your stock pistons. It's on a 110 lca and needs installed only 1-2° advanced. Cam is 395.00 shipped to your door.
Brian

Have you run into 5.9s that are flush with the deck before ? I was positive they were before I disassembled the engine but a lot of guys are saying they were all .050 in the hole. Which makes me start second guessing myself.
I will mock one piston/rod up tomorrow and double check.

-
Back