• 225, 4bbl, cam, headers

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • 273/318, 4bbl, cam, manifolds

Votes: 84 83.2%

• Total voters
-

moper

Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on my '65. I've decided to sell it after some repairs it needs. The front end has to be completely done and the 170 in it has a few ticks and the oil pressure is low. So I will be doing the front end and brakes, and figured I'd pull the engine and replace that. I'll spray the engine bay and detail everything, and it will end up getting a new exhaust.
All that brings me to the poll... I have a 225 with a 4bbl to replace the 170, or, I have all the stuff to stick a 4bbl V8 in it. The V8 option will be a little more cash to get done just do to getting the 273 running, or grabbing a 318 to drop in it. I had intended to go with the 225 and do a lot of work to it but for resale I'd just detail it, stick a cam in it, and add some headers.
So which does the majority think is best? 225 4bbl or V8 4bbl?

Used 318 swap. You know how the aftermarket prices,kill any profit margin.318 4 barrel,stock style exhaust. My .02.

I think it would bring more with the V8.

If you go the /6 route hang on a 4 barrel and a split header with some nice exhaust. A 273 or 318 is a good choice too. Even a 2 barrel motor is fun. A little cam and a nice exhaust system and you have a fun drive. Tough choice. tmm

273 is the V8 nostalgic to it's era. But my opinion is the 225 slant, you'll wont mess with the rest of the drivetrain alignment & exhaust etc. It will be an enjoyable salable car if it's a smooth operator. And slants are smooth operators!

Is all that work going to pay for itself? Maybe offer it up for sale with choice of optional extra parts and let the new owner do the work or pay you to do it.

It's just my opinion but I have everything but the exhaust, and the front end parts. I have the new brakes, all the V8 stuff including the '65 cable V8 904, a '65 273, a '65 273 4bbl intake and carb, etc. So yeah - I think the work will add to the sales price enough to justify it. My experience with buyers is they want something turn key done or they want it nothing. This car's not perfect, but it's not bad. I'd have to give it away as a running driving 170 with a laundry list.

As much as I'm a V8 guy...I'd think the 225/6 is the best option. I would probably vote keeping it a 170, but if the 225 is ready to drop in...that's "money" as far as I can see.

With you having most of the stuff needed for the V8 swap laying around,my vote is for the V8.Adding the 8 3/4 will also help boost a sale.JMO

A lot of work just to sell!! Why not sell it as is and sell all the parts seperate? IMO, a V8 swap wont yield much more compared to the work involved to swap it over, but i stand behind your effort to change it over if you decide to!! Geof

If you do all the work with the 273/318 You may end up saying "Hey this thing is alot of fun." and end up keeping it. That said, I'm a big fan of the Slant,but resale they bring no money.My last two,needing nothing but a new owner were both hard sales and not much dough at 4 grand and 6 grand. Again, these cars had new everything drivetrain wise,great bodies, and at the sold price took several years to move.Just a thought. I know that when I go to sell the Slant Dart that I'm working on now I will be lucky to get 6 grand for it.That is less than what I have in the drivetrain alone.My 2 cents..:cheers:

Sorry for not knowing what car you have, so we're talking about a '65 what ? Dart, Valiant, 2 door, 4 door, ?

What ever is it, I'm thinking your not going to get your money back for doing the v8 swap. I'd drop in the 225, and get it running good, and sell. And your probably not going to raise the sale price that much by doing a cam, headers, etc.
If you goal is just to make it salable, then do the 225, get it going, and sell it.

If its a convertible 65 anything it will go for more than 10,000.00 no matter what engine is in it as long as it's enjoyable. Enjoyable being the key word here!

If its a convertible 65 anything it will go for more than 10,000.00 no matter what engine is in it as long as it's enjoyable. Enjoyable being the key word here!

I pondered the same question, as I'm finishing a 66' dart GT convertible. California car, beautifully painted. But has a bad rod. I have two choices, Install another slant six that I already have, or put a 69' 318 auto that I have in it. I Intend to sell it once the car is finished. But,if I put the V8 in it, I will definitely be tempted to keep it. I also know that the V8's had 10" brakes,etc. Now I have an even bigger project if I were do it right. So far keeping the slant six is winning, as the mileage is great in that setup. Plus it is original.

I pondered the same question, as I'm finishing a 66' dart GT convertible. California car, beautifully painted. But has a bad rod. I have two choices, Install another slant six that I already have, or put a 69' 318 auto that I have in it. I Intend to sell it once the car is finished. But,if I put the V8 in it, I will definitely be tempted to keep it. I also know that the V8's had 10" brakes,etc. Now I have an even bigger project if I were do it right. So far keeping the slant six is winning, as the mileage is great in that setup. Plus it is original.

Super Six it, and I bet you'll keep it, especially when you see the power it has. I'm not sure if you could date code it like that, maybe, I know I seen a wrecked 67 or 68 Barracuda in a friends backyard with a original Super Six8)

I know I seen a wrecked 67 or 68 Barracuda in a friends backyard with a original Super Six8)

I don't think so. Pretty sure the Super Six (2bbl carb) engines didn't come out till 1977

Don't be fooled by the air cleaner that says "Super 225" on it. That's just a sticker, and they were 1bbl carbs.

Attachments

• 225.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 520
food for thought, my neighbor recently sold his 64 dart gt with 225 and full clifford performance pacage. every potntial buyer said man if it only had a v8. we are also on different coasts, but around here any youngster wants a v8 and knows nothing about nastalgia.

Thanks All. I swapped cars in the work bay and brought it in. For those who asked - sorry I didn't include the model...lol. It's a '65 Barracuda. I have no clue waht the factory engine was, the 170 in it is not the original. The car was "done" once already and some of the bodywork is coming through. There's a few rust spots and some bubbling, etc. It's an original bright red car, black gut. The interior is very nice and mostly original, floor shifter, no power anything. So it's not a huge money car. I'm hoping to get into the $6-7K range. I won't swap and 8 3/4 for any option. It's got a 3.23 7 1/4 one legger and that's got some new bearings, new brakes, detailing, and modified leaf springs. With stock 14" size tires nothing I put in runs a risk of breaking it quickly. I guess I need to think on this some more...
Keep them thoughts coming please!

I'd drop in the 273 4 barrel, unless you are "saving" it. That is what one would expect in a 65 Barracuda. You know how to make it run. I did up a 170 in the seventies. A Mopar Performance cam, milled and cc'd heads, windage tray, it pulled real nice. In the end I went back to a 273 and pretty much gave the 170 away.

I wouldn't part it out. It's waaaayyy too nice for that and I'm all for saving the good ones that are left regardless of pedigree. I'm begining to lean towards doing body/paint and stick in the 273. Yes, even more work - but it would maximize the return which is really why I am selling. I would prefer to pay off a few things rather than carry them any longer and I haven't registered, insured, or driven this car other than quick blasts down the street in 2 years.

dont put money in, sell her as she sits. let the new owner decide which direction to go.

but if it were me, dont sell it. you never know... if anything happens to your main ride then you end up with nothin. finding another a-body that's not rusted out is getting harder and harder and harder.

273 4bbl ain't a thing without the matching pistons. If you got the 273 and all parts, id do it as much as I like the slant option. Do you ever go to car shows? Early A slants get more attention than small blocks...

-
Back