Opinions on seatbelt mod

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Duster the interior had been completely consumed by various creatures, so it had no seatbelts. I bought some universal ones from Summit and they work great, except for one thing. Because the top mounting point of the seat belts in the Duster, and the design of the seatbelts I have, the belt goes across my chin/neck area when I’m wearing it.
Do y’all think it would be dangerous to take a piece of steel (I have some 3/16) and drill 2 holes in it to lower the upper mounting point of the belt? (See picture).
I know it’d be better off buying different ones but I don’t like buying things twice.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
7380EAC8-6A57-4019-B3DC-52BDA222CC7A.jpeg

I would strongly recommend you NOT fiddle with the factory seat belt mounting arrangement. That said, I have the same problem on most older cars - I'm pretty short, and the shoulder belt tends to saw into my neck all the time. I use this kind of a seat belt adjuster to fix the problem. They are dirt cheap and work well. You can find this or something similar at most auto parts stores.

Online Design Seatbelt Adjuster 2 Pack Adjusters - Black with Instructions Online Design Seatbelt Adjuster - 2 Package - Black with Instructions | 8327837 | Pep Boys

There is a member here who rebuilds seat belts. He may be able to make you a short strap that would work.

You could also go to the pick your part and find something that would work

There are many threads here where it is advised , "buy 3 point belts that include a drop loop from upper mounting point". If you can't return the belts you bought for refund, that thingy shown above may be the only solution. Good luck

I bought my seat belts for my 71 Barracuda and the extension that you suggest is incorporated into these. I don't see a problem with what you want to do. You could almost pick up a tank with 3/16 steel plate. Rod
upload_2019-12-6_10-22-16.png

Last edited:
-
Back