Opinions please..

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Decent rattlecan chrome is pretty much non-existent..( although, I'm going to be trying the Revell mirror chrome soon )...so a buddy of mine said, "why don't you just paint the would be chrome areas the body color.." Maybe someone else has done it but I've never seen it, so I did a little test mock up just on the outer heater bezel trim.. What do you think..? I actually kinda dig it.. I'd prefer the chrome, but this seems to be a pretty cool alternative.

20230325_121539.jpg

I guess it depends on what you want your end result to be for the car. Is it a restoration or do you want it to look stock? Do you want a resto-mod look or custom? I think the chrome is better, but I had to paint mine due to my budget, but its near chrome, not body color. In the end, it's your car and you are the only one who needs to approve or be satisfied with it. Hell, you might even decide to change it again in a few years.

I guess it depends on what you want your end result to be for the car. Is it a restoration or do you want it to look stock? Do you want a resto-mod look or custom? I think the chrome is better, but I had to paint mine due to my budget, but its near chrome, not body color. In the end, it's your car and you are the only one who needs to approve or be satisfied with it. Hell, you might even decide to change it again in a few years.
I'm pretty much a purist/ factory original guy..
I agree the chrome is much better, and I'm certainly not wanting a "custom" or resto-mod look, but I've been so disappointed with any chrome paint I've tried that a crappy looking chrome won't cut it...and at this time, I don't want to spend the needed cash to have it done correctly. I'm going to try this Revell or SpazStix rattlecan chrome as soon as it comes in and if that doesn't work out I'm going to try to airbrush chrome. There's a guy on YouTube that tests out different paints and his results have been impressive..but I won't believe it till I do it myself.

I used spray paint chrome from the local hobby shop for plastic models. It looks like silver paint (dull chrome) but with the black paint and wood grain overlay from Detroit muscle still looks good after 6 years.

There is a product for finger nails that is a powder, you apply some type of adhesive then brush the powder on. I have not seen it in person but on the YouTube video it looks impressive.

I have used a chrome paint pen that is impressive but it flatens fast if touched. Maybe clear over it would hold the shine.

-
Back