Opinons on adjustable threaded engine leveler needed

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
In my collection of tools I am missing a very important item. I use a chain and it wears me out fighting it when I use the cherry picker.

I need to buy an decent engine sling that has the all thread to level it. What do you prefer and is there those I need to avoid?

I don't care for HF tools but is this an decent item from them?

Make sure that you get one with the Acme threads (square like a vise), the ones with regular thread take too long to crank (like jacking off for over an hour)...

Thanks... I had never thought about that issue.

I made the mistake of getting one with the "standard" threads and not Acme. that's how I found out that it makes a difference. The Acme threads get you farther per crank than standard threads.

I made the mistake of getting one with the "standard" threads and not Acme. that's how I found out that it makes a difference. The Acme threads get you farther per crank than standard threads.

Yup, that's what I have, I picked it up at a second hand shop for 5 bucks. Looked to be new and still in the box.

............I've never used 1, always just the plate that bolts to the intake....are they really that much better...thanks.....kim.....

I use the one from H.F with no trouble just put grease where it slides and the all thread. I have even used the inpact on to move it faster:cheers:.......Artie

............I've never used 1, always just the plate that bolts to the intake....are they really that much better...thanks.....kim.....
Yes they,re worth the money and take the aggrivation out of any engine install.Makes it easier to install engine/trans together from the top.JMO

Have had one for many years...really helps angling the trans into the tunnel...

Used one from HF just recently, was able to pull the engine by myself with no problems.

We used a HF leveler last weekend to pull my 340. It performed exactly as you would want it to. The handle did come loose and had to be tightened, but that was the only problem we had with it. I probably wouldn't recommend it for a professional or someone who used it a couple times a year, but my buddy had it and it was free so we used it.

Yes, they are much better. You can drop in an engine and trans in minutes without scratching the firewall or front header panel.

Once I have everything disconnected and ready to pull, I can pull the engine and trans out of my car in less than 10 minutes by myself.

Bolt the rear pair of chains to not the rearmost intake bolts but the next pair forward. As said take off the crank handle & weld on a nut

The levelers are not needed if you disassemble the car like it was made. From the bottom. The problem comes in when you remove or install from the top, against the design. Then the leveler can help greatly. I don't see the need, because usually when you are pulling the engine, you are also doing other things like brake upgrades and suspension work. Working on the car the way it was intended, you can get all that done pretty much at once.

The levelers are not needed if you disassemble the car like it was made. From the bottom. The problem comes in when you remove or install from the top, against the design. Then the leveler can help greatly. I don't see the need, because usually when you are pulling the engine, you are also doing other things like brake upgrades and suspension work. Working on the car the way it was intended, you can get all that done pretty much at once.

When I am feeling decent I do a whole lot more than vintage cars and that is why I asked the question. I have 3 engine jobs on pick ups waiting right now.

-
Back