Order of installation

-

grassy

Reaction score
Getting better enough to think about working on the car again.

The old drive train is gone..I was thinking about order...best to install back to front or engine / tranny first ? Or does it make any difference ?

Appreciate any help.
Ian.

If I understand your post correctly, you have no drive train installed? I guess I would put the rear axle/diff in first so that I could move it around if necessary. Then get the engine and tranny into it. If you can move it around now, where you start probably really doesn't make much difference. Good luck. L8r

Gerahead,

Thank-you. It was one of those bizarre questions that pops into you head when you are trying to visualize what your next step will be. The car is on it's side at the moment. Two coats of chassis black, re installation of the gas tank and a set of chassis connectors and we will flip it back. I have a set of dollies that we push it around on. I was going to run the brake/gas lines them. Since I am not running them with the OEM style attachments, i think I have some flexibility.

It is warming up and the kid's sports are soon winding up for the year.

I will post pictures soon.

Ian.

PS -nice resto. Because the cost of paint is so freaking high, we are painting the bottom black bit doing the engine by in the same colour as the car. Our car will be a runner, not a show car. Our resto before I hurt myself last fall. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=147435

Thanks. The underside of my car is kind of a grainy, flat black color with body color overspray along the rockers/quarter pinch welds and at the pinch weld for the tranny tunnel. So that is what I intend to replicate. While I do not intend to construct a show car, I want to do things correctly. The next two projects on the docket (yeah, I am plannign that far ahead!) are going to be worthy of that detail, so this in an educational process for me.
For your project, I would put the engine in last. The engine doesn't take up a lot of space and for as long as you are going to have to wrestle the car around the garage with body pressure, no sense adding the extra 500lbs to the load until you have to. Good luck. L8r

-
Back