Original Steering Wheel restorations

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
So, my early 60's sterring wheel only has 2 cracks in it. Is there anyone out there with a process to restore these, or a DYI method to fill the cracks with something durable with good appearance?

I've tried JB Weld. It cracks and separates. I've had good luck with fiberglass mat and resin though.

I've used PC-7 as a filler for the cracks and it came out excellent
hit it with adhesion promoter and sealed it with primer. than hit it with Base coat color and clear
here's some pic's

it was pretty bad. lots of hand sanding and it was nice in the end.
one of the guys on here made a jig holding a dremel to sand the finger cutouts (smart man there, I'm going g to steal that idea and do my next 2 that way on a umm swiped from the house "lazy susan" the wife doesn't know about yet.:D) saving tons of work.

View attachment DSCF3013.jpg

View attachment DSCF3014.jpg

View attachment DSCF4122.jpg

View attachment DSCF3012.jpg

View attachment DSCF3011.jpg

here is a quick link to 1 way of fixing it (por15 epoxy is ok but pc-7 is better for holding)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isF_zDPCiwg"]How to Restore a Cracked Steering Wheel - YouTube[/ame]

Wonderful job you did! I wouldda thrown that piece of crap in the garbage. No offense.

I've used PC-7 as a filler for the cracks and it came out excellent
hit it with adhesion promoter and sealed it with primer. than hit it with Base coat color and clear
here's some pic's

it was pretty bad. lots of hand sanding and it was nice in the end.
one of the guys on here made a jig holding a dremel to sand the finger cutouts (smart man there, I'm going g to steal that idea and do my next 2 that way on a umm swiped from the house "lazy susan" the wife doesn't know about yet.:D) saving tons of work.

View attachment 1714725835

View attachment 1714725836

View attachment 1714725839

View attachment 1714725837

View attachment 1714725838

here is a quick link to 1 way of fixing it (por15 epoxy is ok but pc-7 is better for holding)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isF_zDPCiwg

^^ Yes 2X!!! That is an amzing job on that wheel! Similarly, I would not have even tried. (Dang, my wheel is looking great now BTW!)

Thanks for sharing...I am in awe at that work.

-
Back