Original VIN locations

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi all

I found the original VIN on the core support, but I didn't find the one on the firewall.
Where is it located on 1971 A-bodies?

Hi all

I found the original VIN on the core support, but I didn't find the one on the firewall.
Where is it located on 1971 A-bodies?
Mine is located underneath the package tray on the drivers side. not sure if it can be seen from inside the trunk....probably could......I'm not aware of there being any partial VINS on the cowl or trunk drip rails on A bodies.

"I believe" that OldManMopar has reported that some 71's were made WITHOUT extra body numbers

Did you import it or was it assembled somewhere in Europe (like Switzerland)? That may have some bearing on VIN numbers

Mine is located underneath the package tray on the drivers side. not sure if it can be seen from inside the trunk....probably could......I'm not aware of there being any partial VINS on the cowl or trunk drip rails on A bodies.

Don't know for the trunk (I will check), but I have a partial VIN on the radiator support.
I was looking for another one on the firewall or the cowl, but I didn't find any.

My 1970 Dart had the VIN stamped on the inner trunk lip on the right side midway if that helps.

Dusters, Demons and Dart Sports didn't get trunk rail stampings. The hidden VIN for them is on the top side of the speaker shelf towards the drivers side. You will have to take the back seat out and remove the package tray to get to it.

The trunk lip VINs on my 70 Darts are UNDER the trunk seal on the right side

Dusters, Demons and Dart Sports didn't get trunk rail stampings. The hidden VIN for them is on the top side of the speaker shelf towards the drivers side. You will have to take the back seat out and remove the package tray to get to it.

Or take a picture from the trunk looking up and flip it.

Effectively, I didn't find any stamping on the trunk rail. Nor on the firewall or the cowl panel.
Only on the radiator support and the passenger side inner fender.
I'll later check the speaker shelf...

Rad support VIN.jpg

Pass side inner fender VIN.jpg

I don't think the one on the passenger side inner fender is a factory stamping. The font of the letters doesn't look the same. It may have been put on there when it was imported into Belgium. If you find the one on the speaker shelf, compare the font of that stamp to the one on the radiator support. It should match. There should also be a VIN on the passenger side of the transmission on a raised pad. There will be a VIN on the engine too, but I have no idea where they are located on a slant 6 engine. Maybe @Princess Valiant could tell you where the engine number is. She is a slant 6 expert....and I think she may even speak French. :)

I think the font is the same, but bigger. it’s three or four times as big.
I found the partial VIN on the engine block (on slant sixes, it's on a pad below the 6th spark plug, firewall side)
Engine VIN.jpg

It remains to be verified the trans and the speaker shelf

François

Last edited:
Thank you Troy. Very useful picture...
I will check next time I will remove the package tray.
Not these days, we are in a heat wave... It's very hard to work on cars...

Last edited:
Found the hidden VIN today

Under the package tray, near the left speaker hole :
Package tray VIN.jpg

On the gearbox pad :
Gearbox VIN.jpg

So, to summarize, on 1971 Demon (and probably on 1971 Duster too), we can find the VIN on :
- the rad support
- the passenger side inner fender
- the engine block
- the transmission
- the package tray panel
And, of course, on the VIN tag and the dashboard.

It seems that there is no VIN on the firewall/cowl panel as on E-bodies, nor on the inner trunk lip.

Last edited:
Did you import it or was it assembled somewhere in Europe (like Switzerland)? That may have some bearing on VIN numbers
Mopars had an assembly plant here in Switzerland, yes. It was located in Schinznach. The building still exists to this day but it is a Volkswagen dealer today. Every car that was officially imported had an extra plate on the inner fender. I don't know if "our" assembly was only for Switzerland or all of europe. Cars from 1949 to 1972 were completely built here (as "kit cars") with some extras like a complete swiss made interior and some different options as standard. After 1973, they just imported the cars, just like my '74 Valiant.

VIN_and_Options.jpg

We have here on FABO some european members (from Switzerland and Austria) with a fistful of Schinznach mopars.
To my knowledge, Schinznach production has been very confidential and mainly dedicated to Switzerland market.

For other european countries like France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and Netherland, Chrysler International had a big plant located in Rotterdam,Netherland (NEKAF plant). This plant produced Mopar models from 1958 to 1970. In 1971, for economical reasons, Chrysler group cars for Europe were imported from USA and not made locally anymore.

Nekaf 1968.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back