Orphan Part 2 .... Yikes!!!

-
Would a simple block heater work to keep out moisture. I bet up north your having dramatic swings in temps. Cool mornings mix with warm days. Those blocks have condensation big time. We know you have a nice fleet so they don’t get driving as much as they should. Love those little roller motors what a keeper.
I'm thinking rain water has a entry..... filler tube is what i'm suspecting right now. It has it's face poking right out to the front of the van....

UPDATE* More Clues, Still Clueless......... :BangHead:

Engine sits in there mid ship to the firewall, no or failing rear hood weatherstrip so water runs down over engine.

First suspect water point of entry, mismatched oil fill cap to aftermarket valve covers. Some caps only have a tin seal there, can get a new cap with a fiber gasket. Same with the PVC grommet, check that, have seen those grommets go into oil fill style holes in the valve covers, and that could easily leak water in.

Screenshot_20200822-085806_Chrome.jpg

Process of Elimination, check all points of engine that could let water water in.

Get it all back together, park it where you are going to store it. With the dog house off drape a tarp over the engine. Pop the dog house back on and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Then quick pull of the drain plug, no water coming out then all is good. Then you know it was an outside water source getting into the engine. Pull the tarp and go for a drive.

Engine sits in there mid ship to the firewall, no or failing rear hood weatherstrip so water runs down over engine.

First suspect water point of entry, mismatched oil fill cap to aftermarket valve covers. Some caps only have a tin seal there, can get a new cap with a fiber gasket. Same with the PVC grommet, check that, have seen those grommets go into oil fill style holes in the valve covers, and that could easily leak water in.

View attachment 1715582343

Process of Elimination, check all points of engine that could let water water in.

Get it all back together, park it where you are going to store it. With the dog house off drape a tarp over the engine. Pop the dog house back on and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Then quick pull of the drain plug, no water coming out then all is good. Then you know it was an outside water source getting into the engine. Pull the tarp and go for a drive.
grommet for the oil fill is definitely suspect

Today is "work on van" day..... but not this van (orphan), the '77. Wifey wants to work on the inside of it, so I'm working on the inside of it. Great day for it to, means the humidity is picking up. :rolleyes: Getting my fill of van work.... back and forth, timing chain in the '77, tear down of the '89, back to the interior of the '77.... a man needs some chips and think time... :D

Today is "work on van" day..... but not this van (orphan), the '77. Wifey wants to work on the inside of it, so I'm working on the inside of it. Great day for it to, means the humidity is picking up. :rolleyes: Getting my fill of van work.... back and forth, timing chain in the '77, tear down of the '89, back to the interior of the '77.... a man needs some chips and think time... :D

Or.....some quality Duster time.

Is it possible that the valve cover goo is from a VERY small gasket leak going only one way (water into oil)? I lived in high humidity, had to let engines not run for months at a time, never witnessed that in the valve covers.

Is it possible that the valve cover goo is from a VERY small gasket leak going only one way (water into oil)? I lived in high humidity, had to let engines not run for months at a time, never witnessed that in the valve covers.
anything is possible, but as clear as it was, and the anti-freeze being full, I'm not sure I can sell out on it being anti-freeze.....

From your video it looks like the block and the crossmember have been power washed. The oil in the drain pan looks similar to 'gunk' degreaser mixed with water. My 2 cents.

-
Back