Outside storage for 3-5 years....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
If one was to store/save a project that won't be gotten to for 3-5 years, and does not have the inside space to store it because of 2 other projects in the works..... How would you do it and try to not have it waste away?

It would be in a concrete driveway. I'm thinking up on blocks about 36 inches off the ground to allow airflow underneath would be good for the bottom side, but what about the top side? Drain the fuel and make sure the coolant is adequate (or drain that as well?). Double a large tarp to make 2 layers and tie it down tight?

I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about selling the Shelby Dakota since the wife asked me if I was sure about it. I'd really like to keep it for my 10 yr old to learn to drive in like his big brother Jacob did, but I don't have the inside space unless I get rid of one of the ragtops and that really isn't an option at this time. If I do keep it for Joshua, I figure in 4 years it will be time to tear it down for a refurb.

Thoughts?

I would be hesitant to tarp it. I've seen too many incidents of people putting tarps or covers on, then moisture gets between the tarp and the car and causes issues.

if your going into this thinking it will be outside for 3-5 years because there are other projects you are (not) working on just sell it someone who will actually do something with it

[flamesuit on]

if you support it on blocks, support the suspension not the tires and not the frame. Tires will get flat spotted (may recover) but a hanging suspension will not recover. Pack it with mothballs so rodents stay away. Id fill the tank to full (add stabil for conscious sake) and leave the oils in place. A full tank wont rust under the fuel line. take the tires off and put them in a sealed bag in your shed. ozone is the tire killer. 5 years is not bad. Ive started much older sleepers with just a squirt of gas and a jump. If you could start it quarterly that would help but just to stir the fuel rails. If your going to cover it, make a framework that will keep tarp off it. Ive never had a tarp last more than 2 years out in the sun. If your really concerned about the moisture, do you live near a dock? They could wrap your truck in shrinkwrap like they do the snowbirds yachts. here is a 17x31 foot one piece wrap, 58 bucks! totally waterproof and video..
17′ X 31′ 6MIL (DS-176031) Blue | Shrink Wrap | Dr Shrink

Last edited:
-- if your going into this thinking it will be outside for 3-5 years because there are other projects you are (not) working on just sell it someone who will actually do something with it --
[flamesuit on] --
-- I agree. Many things can change in 3-5 years.

I would try to get it in a building.
I put up a storage garage from Sheds for less for $2600.
It’s a metal garage kit, that I built on a wood floor.

You could put it in a car shelter tent. Tractor Supply has "Shelter Logic" tents in all sizes.
upload_2018-5-21_10-48-8.png

I have used a Shelter Logic enclosed car tent for the last 7 years. I am on my second set of tarps. A friend of mine has the space for the metal canopy that he purchased and then covers his car with a car cover.

I like the fact that you're thinking 3 feet off the concrete. The absolute worst is gravel or dirt.

3-5 years? I'd seriously think about removing the fuel tank. Not much work and no worries about old fuel, moisture, rust etc.

I have no opinions on covers but I think I WOULD cover and take it off occasionally to air it out and monitor deterioration. A cover will help protect against interior deterioration and water leaks.

No offense but people in .CA, TX, and similar dry states probably don't realize what we are up against in "rusty" states.

Fuel tank is not steel, tires are already junk so not worries about those. Wheels are the original aluminum/alloy. Currently the only rust on the truck is surface patina from a bad paint job 7 years ago.

Dump some cat litter into a sock and leave it in the car. Can help absorb moisture inside the car over time, or so I hear.

Charcoal in a cut off milk jug, should keep any moisture absorbed.

Also I have had bad luck with car covers, they will rub the paint!
My wife’s beautiful Cj-5 now needs a repaint, because of a car cover on it from just one winter, sitting in the driveway.

So I've made a monumental decision. I've only had the Fury out 4 times in the last year and a half. After having it "done" now for 14 seasons, and as weird as this may sound to some yet others will understand, near the end of this season I'm going to put it up for sale and move the Shelby Dakota inside. After the basement gets done later this year, I will turn my focus on the 68 B'cuda that I'm (not) working on at this time. When Josh is 14 in 4 years, we'll then start on the Shelby for him regardless where I am on the 68.

So I've made a monumental decision. I've only had the Fury out 4 times in the last year and a half. After having it "done" now for 14 seasons, and as weird as this may sound to some yet others will understand, near the end of this season I'm going to put it up for sale and move the Shelby Dakota inside. After the basement gets done later this year, I will turn my focus on the 68 B'cuda that I'm (not) working on at this time. When Josh is 14 in 4 years, we'll then start on the Shelby for him regardless where I am on the 68.

Must have alot of good memories with that pick up to sell a Fury to get it inside.

Must have alot of good memories with that pick up to sell a Fury to get it inside.
my guess is the memories will be made as he and his kid get that dakota (daytona, maybe?) back on the road

I bought the truck new in march of 89. It is #321. Daily drove for about 8 years, promoted to toy status, honeymooned in it, put it away for several years, my oldest son helped bring it out of moth balls 8 years ago so he could learn to drive in it 5 years ago, was his high school ride for a year and a half until his 65 B'cuda was done, I daily drove off and on the last few years, and the wife never did like the Fury, so she never goes out in it with me.... So yeah, the Dakota means more to me than the Fury does.

Yes I've had a couple Shelby Dakota's and even know not real respected, I kinda miss mine. I think I would keep it too. They are cool trucks and a nice piece of history.

The absolute worst is gravel or dirt.
No offense but people in .CA, TX, and similar dry states probably don't realize what we are up against in "rusty" states.

the worst here is to park them in the weeds/tall grass. Heavy morning dew will not dry out under the car because of no air or sun. In short time brake lines, fuel lines start to rust. then floors, trunk, and frame.

-
Back