Oval Track Cam

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think of using an oval track cam in a street car.???.

I have an MP oval track PN#P4529969 W/lifters (nib),It's a mechanical cam.

Specs are

Adv Duration- 289/280*
overlap - 68*
Desighn Lift- .509/509"
Valve Lash- .028/.032
Cam C-Line- 106*
Installed C-Line- 106*Recomended Valve Springs- P3614542or P3412068

I am toying with the idea of putting it in my 273- 4bbl 67 N-B cuda.
The cam in there now is a Crane that I or Crane cannot come with the right lash setting, so I thought about putting the Mp Oval track cam in it's place.

Any one have any thoughts on this,??.

Dave C.

Its probably going to be way to much cam for that little 273. Also the 106 LSA is really tight for a full exhaust system. You may want to sell it for something more mild.

Thanks Fastback

Thats what I was thinking, I may just get another cam and be done with it.

Any one Else????.

Got to get ready for work now (10.00 PM to 6.30 Am Shift) see you all in the Morning.

Dave C.

The duration at .050" on that cam is gonna be around 245/238. With your small 273 I dont think Id go much bigger then 220-230 with a solid cam and around 10 degrees smaller with a Hyd.

Fastback

the MP small block engine book says duration at fifty would be 238,(adv dur X.850.
Thanks
Dave C.

gotta go to work now.see you all in the AM.

Thats correct for the exhaust duration wich is 280 adv. but the intake has an advertised duration of 289

Morning Fastback

I just listed the cam on the Parts for sale board.

The problem with the cam in the 273 is I don't know what to set the lash at. It supposedly has a Crane Cam, but Crane can't help cause they say the #s for a "special grind". The car was shipped here from Ca. and the Engine was built by Bishop- Buehle Racing Engines, West Covina Ca. for a guy who lost the car out of storage. I got it from a broker with all the paperwork.
The 273 is only staying in there till I get my other project done, then I plan on putting my other 340 in it's place. It's a formula "S" car

I would like to get the lash set properly, or get a low end solid cam at reasonable price

Dave C.

Id look in to a Comp Cams 270S solid for it. Its pretty small but bigger then the stock 273 solid. I think its around 224 @.050"

I have that cam in my 340, seems to work pretty good. Mine is installed at 102. Why do you say it is too tight of a centerline for full exhaust? Just curious, I was thinking of changing the cam to the 508/292 hydro.

-
Back