Over charge with rpm input

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
I took my Dart out for its first road test after sitting over the winter ... Can't remember ... but i can bury the ALT gauge with rpm increase ... i doubt the battery is that low ... could the elec regulator took a dump ?? Dammit only 1 year old ... What do you think ?

Quite likely. It's growing harder to get good ones; much of what's on the market is Chinese garbage.

1 Get a meter on the battery and see what it's actually doing

If it's running too much voltage IE over 14.5V

2 Make sure the battery is charged and have it tested

3 Key on, engine off, measure voltage drop from alternator field to battery positive post. You don't want to see more than .2-.3V (three tenths of a volt)

Fire up engine, fast idle, get battery "normalized" IE ammeter satisfied, recheck battery voltage. If it's high, check the regulator ground

To do that, put one probe on battery neg post, the other onto the regulator frame. Be sure to stab through any rust/ chrome. You do not want MORE than .2v (two tenths)

If all the above is checks OK but the charging voltage at the battery is still high, replace the regulator

Optimal charging voltage with engine/ regulator warm, battery "normalized" is 13.8--14.2V Absolute limits are 13.5--14.5. Above or below you have troubles.

voltage regulator sounds like it kicked the bucket. you will fry your battery if you keep running it

Also, check to make sure your battery hasn't got a dead cell. Stop the engine and turn the high beam headlamps on for one full minute, then turn them off and put a voltmeter across the battery + and -. You should read something very close to 12.6 volts. If you read something closer to 10.5 volts, the battery's got a dead cell and the ammeter will peg every time you rev the engine up (though usually the ammeter will also dip to the left at idle).

Monday am now ... got to go to work.... but i think also that chinese reg took a crap.... any suggestions on where to get a reliable regulator ... keep in mind i have the single alt field system ... what i did was get an updated old style regulator with updated electronics and put my cover on it took give it the stock look ..
Thanks guys !

My preference in "single field" regulators is the Standard Ignition #VR-128 or the NAPA Echlin #VR-1001.

-
Back