Overevaluating owner vs. Car pimps.

-

Jason Cunningham

Reaction score
So, I attended a major car show the other day. One of the cars that really got my attention was a primered 70 340 Swinger project car. It also had some interesting, ( and lack of ) options. FC7 paint, white vinyl top, white stripe car. Black bench seat, 3-speed stick , hood pins, rallye wheels, rubber floor, foot operated windshield squirter, and RADIO DELETE. Also a numbers matching 340 car. The car was Rust free, and the owner had done the body himself. ( The car was nice and straight ). The owner was a nice fella, and a knowledgeable Mopar guy. I asked him if he would consider selling it. He told me that nobody would want to pay what it was worth, he then ( reluctantly ) said he would want between 18-20k. He based his price upon the fact that he could FINNISH the car for another 5k. My estimation is the car was about 15 k away from being PROPERLY restored. He asked me what I thought the car was worth, as it sat. He told me not to worry about offending him, and to be honest. I told him I would feel comfortable at 10 k. He said a lot of guys showed interest, and a few guys were offering $4500- 5000 for it. My buddy who was with me, has had his eye on this car for a couple of years, and wants to be into it for about 7k. It just made me stop and think. Who is worse to deal with, the OVEREVALUATING owner, who does not really want to sell, or the car pimps who wanted the car for 5k, only to sell it on kijiji for 10k ?

. Who is worse to deal with, the OVEREVALUATING owner, who does not really want to sell,

Personally I don't feel that there's a question being asked here

You've essentially backed an owner into a corner....who has untold money, mileage, labor, etc into his car and DOES NOT have the car up for sale,

...........and then suggesting "he's difficult to deal with."

My own junker is an excellent example. What is my time worth? What is the pain of arthritis worth? I didn't buy this car to flip, or even to sell, and I've got TONS of parts that "I might have needed" and uncounted hours of searching Craigslist, miles of travel, and just plain MONEY out the door that essentially will never be recoverable.

"That's not why" I bought the car.

You can't put a price on sentimental value, either.

Actually, I did not find him hard to deal with at all. Other guys that I talked to that day were saying he had ROCKS in his head. Those were probably the same guys who offered him 5 k. That's what I meant. I have also been in the owners shoes, ( many times before ), half of Calgary wants MY 70 340 Swinger for nothing. Just saying.......Eh !

Good point. Sentimental value comes into play as well. At the same time, I think the fella was enjoying the attention, his primered Dart was getting. Even if a few guys probably pissed him off.

Who is worse to deal with, the OVEREVALUATING owner, who does not really want to sell, or the car pimps who wanted the car for 5k, only to sell it on kijiji for 10k ?

When dealing with someone on a personal basis I find it difficult to put a price on another man's stuff. That said, when dealing with someone that is in it for a buck, I have no problem lowballing. I guess I would rather deal with a personal sale over a flipper.

I can still remember one morning, leaving the barracks, in 71--72, when the six pack RR was "in it's prime." Some "dude" stopped me and says "Howmuchyawant?"

"It's not for sale."

"Yahbut,........"

"I WON'T sell it!!!!"

"Yabut what WOULD you sell it for..........."

So I made a quick add up of "all the stuff" I'd spent money on, stuff this idiot could not see. The cam, dress ups like valve covers, wheels, hitch receiver, and a few other things, and gave him a price

"That's WAY too much, you'd NEVER get that much!!!"

"That's OK, it's NOT for sale!!!!!!"

Yeah. That's the ONLY thing I HATE about the "HOBBY", having to fend off "FLIPPERS", every time I take my car out in public.

Emotions (such as sentimentality or pride) are what make transactions like that difficult. If both parties can look at the situation objectively, things will work out. As an ordinary A body owner, I know I won't get what I will have into my car, and I will know that if/when the time comes to sell it. And if I come up with a fair market value for it, and someone says I'm crazy, then they are the ones with the problem, not me.

?....... hitch receiver.........!"

Wow, I remember those days! No car was too valuable to be used as a hauler too. I did that with my 1972 Chevelle to tow a 240Z car from GA to TN.

I can't even imagine seeing a hitch receiver on a six pack car or even a 273 today.

I guess times change and so does the way we look at things. I'm not saying that's bad, just curious.

Wow, I remember those days! No car was too valuable to be used as a hauler too. I did that with my 1972 Chevelle to tow a 240Z car from GA to TN.

I can't even imagine seeing a hitch receiver on a six pack car or even a 273 today.

I guess times change and so does the way we look at things. I'm not saying that's bad, just curious.

I towed a lot of stuff a lot of places with that car. It was a great platform, with the trak pak suspension and front disk brakes, better than a pickup in some ways. Many half ton pickups have "sloppy" rear suspension and a lot of rear overhang, which can let the trailer "tail wag the dog."

I been offered as much as 25 grand for my 64 Signet more than once where as Moparians ( ya like that ) wouldn't give me 9 grand because of it's impurities.. In reality I personally start out every morning with a dozen " I don't care what purists think " and by the end of the day, I always wind up with only 12... So now you know where I stand..

To me it is always hard to put a value on something. To the seller it is always gold. Have seen it on here several times, a member will ask what "is it worth"...folks will chime in with what I think is an over-inflated amount. But if that same ride were to show up in the classified section they get told they are out of there mind with there price. All depends on what side of the fence you are on. I think that pretty much damn near everyone is out of the minds when it comes to what these things are worth.....unless it was a low number car. And I don't mean the way it is optioned. My former neighbor was a GTO guy. He had a car that was "1 of 6" option wise. It was this was because of the drive-train it had, the fact that it was a convertible with air and here comes the part that he says made these car a 6 figure ride.....manual drum brakes. Who in there right mind would want a big block car with manual drum brakes? Granted, to a collector who was looking for this particular combination to complete his collection...In the end it did not matter...the car burned to the ground, uninsured. It was at a friends house, completely reassembled, waiting to be fired for the first time when his shop caught fire thanks to a poorly placed trash can and a grinder.

Sorry for rambling...

-
Back