Overspray on my 71 Duster. Mothers Clay Bar

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
It is a fairly long story but I tried painting the left front fender and the first two times I screwed it up. The second time I though I burnt the paint, but on closer inspection I found that the paint, (mine and the paint from before I got it) is coming off in huge chunks.
I figure that the primer the last guy used did not adhere to the car. So a razor blade is taking off huge chips of paint.
But the reason for the post is the last and hopefully final paint is looking good, and I guess I did not mask the car enough. There is lots of overspray.

I went to the parts store this morning and picked up Mothers CLAY BAR complete system to remove, among other things) overspray.

I did not expect it to work and the store agreed to accept a return if it did not work.
I mean to tell you that this stuff works wonderful. I had tried lots of different procedures with the tools and chemicals I have here and the results were very poor. But Mothers work great the first time and the procedure is very easy to perform.

I had to take a break until the sun stops shining into the garage so I can get the rear end. Not because of the Mothers, but I try to avoid the direct sun light, especially here in Arizona.
Hope this helps you all.

I am having problems uploading pix but will when I figure out this phone

I stripped, sanded and repainted the left front fender for the umpteenth time. The clear coat went on well. No orange peel and no runs/drips. I put it on very lightly so it would work. I ended up shooting it about a dozen times before it looked well. I will cut and buff it tomorrow and then put the front end of the car back on. If all goes well I will start on the drivers door, soon.

I finished the fender and it is drop dead gorgeous. So now I need to start on the drivers door.

Driver's door:
I was not pleased with the job I did on the paint last night. I realized that I need to move a florescent light for better lighting in that area of the garage. So today when I opened the garage door and got natural light inside, it does not look half bad.
So the first clear coat is on. I put on such a light coat, I will probably shoot it 5 or 6 times. Hope to post pix when I am done.

I screwed up and ended up with overspray, (blue) on my daily driver. I had a clay bar and that thing works great! It removed all the overspray and even other crap that was on there. Yeah, even when you're done, and your paint is years old, run your hand on it and your can 'feel' the crap on it. Then use the clay bar and that baby will be very smooth afterwards. it worked for me also.

I screwed up and ended up with overspray, (blue) on my daily driver. I had a clay bar and that thing works great! It removed all the overspray and even other crap that was on there. Yeah, even when you're done, and your paint is years old, run your hand on it and your can 'feel' the crap on it. Then use the clay bar and that baby will be very smooth afterwards. it worked for me also.

I was really amazed how well it worked

on another note, I am trying to order pre-filters for my respirator that I use while painting or other dusty work. I finally find a place that has them at a reasonable price, $11.25/10. They weigh a few ounces, so why does the company want $13.88 for shipping?? Priority Mail is only about $5.00
I can not find any locally. I think I will use a paper towel as the pre-filter

When you are not using your mask, you should place it in a sealable, zip lock bag. Cause even when you leave it out in the open, it is still picking up vapors. Also, if that thing gets hard to breathe through, or you fell the fumes, you need new cartridges. They are only good for so long, I think max is around 8 hours; when placed in a bag, that's 8 hours of use. I will find a link to the change schedule.

I'm a big fan of Mothers products. I used the clay bar this past weekend on my Jeep. Went from sandpaper feel to glass.

Yep, exactly what I was talking about. But you did a much better job of describing it.

-
Back