Overspray On Windows

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
I am trying to cleanup the original windows on my Duster

The PO painted the car and the windows are in sad shape

While there are not any cracks or chips, there is a lot of primer and paint overspray

What is a safe and effective way to clean the windows up?

Thanks!!

Razor blade. As long as you ain't stupid, it's safe.

Single edged razor blade. 00 steel wool. Lacquer thinner. Pick your poison.

Hard to find lately, but I used bronze wool. It's online, years ago it used to be in the hardware store next to steel wool. Less likely to scratch. Or the OOOO, like BP said.

Thanks guys...….I will pick up some 0000 wool this week

Do you suggest using it dry, or with window cleaner or a thinner or?

Laquer thinner. VERY carefully. Dampen a shop towel. Don't soak it. Don't get any on your paint. Stubborn areas may need 0000 steel wool or a coarse cotton cloth. After you're done, clean it well with Windex or your glass cleaner of choice. If you have any non-factory window tint, none of this applies- you're screwed. Just peel the tint off and start over. JMO.

Thanks guys...….I will pick up some 0000 wool this week

Do you suggest using it dry, or with window cleaner or a thinner or?
I like a little lube. Depends on how severe it is. Razor blade makes real short work of it.

My friends father ran a body shop. His glass cleaning technique was 0000 steel wool and rubbing alcohol (which is like liquid gold today). He scrubbed the windows with steel wool and rubbing alcohol, then took newspaper (yes newspaper) soaked in hot water and scrubbed the glass. Glass wax and a buff and the results were fantastic. I've had good results using Griots glass polish as a final step as glass wax seems to thick to work with for me.

all this talk about dry/lube and razors yikes :rofl:

I used the following with great effect:
As others suggested, razor blades & lacquer thinner.
For the more stubborn areas I CAREFULLY used Acetone.

As said Single edge razor and glass cleaner. Old school Newspaper cleans windows awesome and you dont get the link like paper towels leave behind. I page for scrubbing and one page for drying.

0000 steel wool did a great job

6 windows, both sides, some trim, and the aluminum door sill plates all look great again

So much better ......took awhile and my arms are sore but it looks awesome

There are 2 or 3 minor glass scrapes from the PO......is there a good product to polish or fill in these scrapes?

A trick that you can use to help ensure that you don't dig into the glass with a razor blade is to wipe one edge of it on your jeans for a handful of passes. Basically like you're strumming a guitar with a pick. It'll curve the blade ever so slightly. Just make sure you use it with the curved part away from the glass.

We used to do this when detailing vehicles to get old dried on parking passes off the back of plastic rearview mirrors. It worked without digging into the plastic.

-
Back