P/S to Manual Steering and Coupler to U-Joint

-

67BBCuda

'67 Barracuda Fastback
Reaction score
Hey All,

We're looking to switch to manual steering. First of all, any issues with PSTs 20:1 manual box? Seems like a good compromise and I've liked their stuff so far. Is there a better manual box out there for a comparable price?

Second, we're having header clearance issues with the stock coupler. Right now we have the 273 in there, but at some point we're moving to a 440 and are going to have even less room.

I see that when changing from P/S to manual, an adapter is needed to make up for the shorter column. But when going from coupler to u-joint, people need to cut the column to make up for the longer connection. So, if we change from a stock power steering box to a manual PST one, and get a u-joint, what are we going to need to do to make it work? Also, how do people generally attach the column to the joint? I see DD ends, splined ends, and smooth ends on Borgeson universal joints.

Any advice is appreciated.

When I went from power to a non power box I used a universal steering u joint. I think it was a 3/4 36 spline to 1' ID smooth ( measure what you have). Once measured out and mocked up I welded it to my steering shaft.

sum-770662_w.jpg

-
Back