package tray install help

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
Hey ya'all...I bought a package tray from REM AUTOMOTIVE years ago and am finally ready to install it. However when I opened the box there was no advice on how, and frankly, not a great product. Any tips on how to put in a 62 Valiant?

i'm not familiar with this particular model but for most others... the rear seat back must be removed, then slide the package tray cover/board in place. Probably need to remove the rear seat bottom to access seat back fasteners.

For the price of the cardboard repros, I had one made locally in stainless (fabricating business makes restaurant kitchen counters/sinks) for my BBody.

stainless 1.jpg

stainless 2.jpg

Does the stainless reflect light on the back window making it difficult looking through rear view mirror?

In my Darts there are two fasteners that go through the package tray to hold it in place. They push in from the top and are most easily removed by climbing in the trunk with a pair of pliers squeezing them shut and pushing them up through he package tray. I believe they are there to keep the package tray from rattling against the metal frame beneath it.

I had a great experience with REM, they made a package tray for me with the smooth texture, to match my original. Anyway, just remove your back seat, and slide it out carefully. There might be two small clips, but I don't remember any in my Duster I had years ago. Not familiar w/ earlier Darts.

How about if you got roll bars going through it?
I made my own out of aluminum. Plus
I'll have the rear bench seat in there too. As far as speakers found these surface mount all you need is the mount holes or self tappers and a hole for the wire and done. White box.
20161007_163738.jpg

20161011_164442.jpg

20200318_202200.jpg

Thanks everyone. Got it in...bent it along the scored lines, but had to score both front and back to get it to fit the two level deck and the curved lines of the deck...but it's all good now. Thanks again for all the help!:thumbsup:

I'm glad yall had a good experience. Mine is the ill fittinest thing I've ever tried to install. I got the package tray and trunk divider at the same time. We were very careful bending it along the score, even very gently warming it with a heat gun and the paint still broke all to pieces. Not only that, but it does not fit not one iota. I am sending it back and going to use carpet. I am keeping the trunk divider. It fit very well.

I'm glad yall had a good experience. Mine is the ill fittinest thing I've ever tried to install. I got the package tray and trunk divider at the same time. We were very careful bending it along the score, even very gently warming it with a heat gun and the paint still broke all to pieces. Not only that, but it does not fit not one iota. I am sending it back and going to use carpet. I am keeping the trunk divider. It fit very well.
I am using mine as a bed and covering it with vinyl cloth....it did not fit all that well, but it didn't fall apart either

Last edited:
I have a 74 Duster and bought a new package shelf with speaker cutouts last year at Carlisle. When I went to install it noticed it was too long. I cut it down to size and installed it. I called REM about it and there are 2 different sizes, 1 for material headliner and 1 for the plastic side panels which are thicker hence the narrower shelf. He offered me the edging to dress it up but I did such a good job said I didn't need it. It as very nice of him to offer the edging at no cost.

Hey y’all, need a bit of knowledge. I have a 74 Scamp 2 door hardtop. I’m looking to see if a package tray from a Dart will fit.

-
Back