Painless wiring brake light gremlin

-

alaskamax1

Reaction score
I have a 1972 swinger that I installed the mopar painless wiring kit on. When i push on the brakes and the brake lights come on..... but so do the dash turn signal indicators and front turn signals. They don't flash but rather stay solid. So far in my search for a fix I've removed rear bulbs and then housings. Didn't fix. I've unplugged dash indicators. Didn't fix. I've swapped the front and rear left turn signal as well as the right. Didn't fix. I've also disconnected all the turn signal wires one at a time. Didn't fix. Any and all help is appreciated. Oh and I failed to mention that the turn signals and hazards work and cancel out the solid on syndrome.

Sounds like a bad TS switch. Have you wiggle checked the hazard switch?

Disconnect the plug from the hazard switch as the brake light circuit and blinker circuit both run through that...see what happens...sounds like a wiring issue but this might point you in the right area to start looking

Disconnect the plug from the hazard switch as the brake light circuit and blinker circuit both run through that...see what happens...sounds like a wiring issue but this might point you in the right area to start looking

Hazard switch is not separate in this year. Part of the TS switch

I would get down to basics and "jig up" and test the TS switch(s) both for function and for how you have them wired

Get the factory diagram for the TS switch and draw out the original wire colors

"Truth table"

You have three power inputs:

Brake light switch power, hazard flasher power, and turn signal flasher power

Flasher power hot all time, TS hot with key in "run" and brake light hot with pedal depressed. Those should be easy to verify

Now with TS switch disconnected, use test light or ohmeter, switch centered, hazard off.

Only continuity you should have is brake switch wire to left and right turn should all be connected

If you turn on hazards, the hazard flasher wire should show continuity to both front and both rear turns, and I believe also the brake wire

With switch in left, brake should ONLY go to right rear. TS flasher wire should be connected to front left and rear left.

IF that all pans out, leave switch disconnected, and get a clip wire connected to power. Jumper power to the harness so as to power up the lights one at a time, make sure nothing is "crossed" in the harness, IE apply power to right rear, right front, etc Make sure that all works.

Even though you claim TS switch is new I think they are either defective or mis-wired

don't know if you have original or aftermarket gauges and I know how silly it sounds but if aftermarket did you tap into the rear brake light wires for your turn signal indicator on the dash instead of tapping into the front turn signal wires...ashamed to admit it, but I just did that with the same result.

Ok so I disconnected the switch and added power one at a time to the 4 turn signals. When I apply power to any of the 4 wires , it lights up the opposite (front to back) light as well as the corresponding dash indicator. So this means it has to be between the switch and the bulb.?

Does it light the dash indicators whether front or back? That would not be right.

Should light up the dash indicators only when front turn power is applied

Pull the bulbs. Brake lamp bulbs use 2 filaments.
If 1 bulb goes bad, and filament crosses over to othe one it feeds everything you describe.

Sorry, re read original post.
The turn signal circuit is a tricky one.
I had a similar issue. Universal signal switch with no wiring diagram.
Front and rear lights are seperated within the switch
Feed wrong wire with brake input and it does exactly as you describe.

Pull the bulbs. Brake lamp bulbs use 2 filaments.
If 1 bulb goes bad, and filament crosses over to othe one it feeds everything you describe.

That is correct, and ALL 4 bulbs can suffer this fate.

Similar conditions have occurred in all types of vehicles with 1157/dual filament bulb fixtures. More common condition is turn indicators, etc.. coming on with park lamp circuit. That fault is always lack of chassis ground at front park/turn fixtures. You should check/prove chassis ground at all front and rear 1157 fixtures.
If park lamps circuit can find a chassis ground path through the turn circuit, brake lamp circuit could find a ground path through park and/or turn.

Sorry, re read original post.
The turn signal circuit is a tricky one.
I had a similar issue. Universal signal switch with no wiring diagram.
Front and rear lights are seperated within the switch
Feed wrong wire with brake input and it does exactly as you describe.

No you were RIGHT. If he has a crossed bulb or wiring, or maybe a socket with the pigtail effed up, whatever turn wire he feeds will cross to the tail, which then feeds all three other bulbs. Too damn early to figure if this should affect the turn indicator LOL

I'ts 6AM I have to get ready for work

-
Back