PAINT BRAND SWITCH

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Ive always used PPGs shopline base coat & Deltron 4000 clear. The place where i get my paint supplies is about 30-40 minutes from me. The last few times i was down they didnt have one thing or another to mix any base colors. Now the local napa store that still mixes paint is about 5 minutes from me. There base coat is Martin Senors acme finish 1. Ive sprayed it & its good stuff. The price difference is about $20-$60 depending on color. I am thinking of switching brands. Now switching base coats doesnt bother me. What does is switching clears. Im not to familier with Martin Senors clears. Would love to find a Martin senor/ acme finish 1 clear that sprays like the Deltron 4000 clear & cheaper. The Deltron 4000 clear is getting very expensive. For a gallon of clear & a quart of hardener is just about $800 buck. So any of you have experience with Martin Senor/ acme finish 1 clears ?

I worked for Sherwin-Williams automotive paint and supplies just to let you know they own and manufacture Martin Senor paints and clears ETC.

If im going with the acme finish 1 base coat i need a clear that is compatible.

You wont know if you switch brands. I always stay with the same brand. A lot of painters will say it doesnt matter but when that one time happens you will kick yourself. The clear usually has a one day or less window, otherwise you have to scuff it which can ruin the base coat, especially if it is metallic. Best to bite the bullet. Sherwin has some low end base coats that you can clear with an upgraded clear coat. Either way base, clear, hardeners sealer is going to run over $1000. If this is a car you are going to keep spend the money. The real question is do you have experience with spraying? Also what gun are you using. I would like to help you avoid the pitfalls, there are many. If its something to spray and sell buy Single stage. I did this car several years ago. No I did not paint the flames. I hired an old school painter. Ive had her since 1974.

IMG_20211028_101751508_HDR(1)-001(2).jpg

20220423_091915.jpg

Ive been doing body & paint part time for about 30 years now im doing it full time. Ive always used PPG products but the place where i get it is about 40 minutes away plus there shelves & mixing products are getting very limited. The napa store right down the street from me sells & mixes paint. They sell Martin Senor. When it comes to PPG ive always used the shopline base & the Deltron 4000 clear. Between the price of gas & them not being able to get products just trying to find an alternative thats closer to me. Ive sprayed Martin Senors cheaper base & its not much different than shopline. Im just concerned about there clear. As of right now a gallon of Deltron 4000 clear & a quart of hardener is just about $800. I dont seal my cars. I have friend that is a teacher at the local tech school & a friend that is a PPG rep. told me the paint companies want to do away with sealers. I spray with a 2k primer block sand it with 320 or 400 then base it.

Last edited:
-
Back