paint code for petty blue

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
anyone know the paint code for petty blue? I was at the paint store yesterday and they were trying to tell me it was b3 but that does not sound right. I am going to be repainting the dart this winter and want to do it in petty blue.
Also has anyone used the tcpglobal.com paint. I think they call it autobody restoration paint? Considering that or PPG shopline or PPG Omni Paint. any suggestions or comments ont he paint choices would be appreciated.
Thanks

not bad news at all. the color was nice just thought it was a shade or so off.

B3 is it.

Interestingly enough though, actual Petty Blue used by Petty Enterprises (or whatever they are now) is a few shades off from mopar Petty Blue/B3.

A friend of mine built a '66 Petty Belvedere Replica and went thru Petty Enterprises to get permission to do it. They wouldn't approve it unless he got the decals thru their supplier and they also told him their blue paint code is copyrighted, but gave him the closest commercially available code. Their are lots of Petty Replicas out there, but very few officially approved ones....meaning they can't sue him for using the 43.

Wasn't the original 'Petty Blue' used in the 60s 'Chrysler Corporate Blue'? My old paint chip books have the codes for the Chrysler Corporate Colors, which were red, white, and blue.
Dallas

Could've been, this was all circa '99-2000, they may've been corporate enough by then to have to have their "own" color.

I will say they were very helpful and nice people, my friend and I visted them maybe two dozen times over a year or two when they were still in Level Cross. Got to see a lot of cool stuff that no one else gets to see.

Could've been, this was all circa '99-2000, they may've been corporate enough by then to have to have their "own" color.

I will say they were very helpful and nice people, my friend and I visted them maybe two dozen times over a year or two when they were still in Level Cross. Got to see a lot of cool stuff that no one else gets to see.

I must have been asleep when I posted last night as I just noticed your avatar tonite. Right in front of me, Chrysler's red, white, and blue! doh!
Dallas

Also, the B3 code referred to above that everyone uses for Petty Blue needs to be for '72 and '73 models. B3 in other years was a completely different color, more like 'ice blue metallic'.

Kipper is right about the 999 code. It was used in earlier years to designate a special order color. 999 was also used for the "Rallye Green' as well as other special order colors.

I think the code is TB3.I could be wrong?

You are correct. That's what is on the fender tag. My Dupont paint chip books drop the T and just show the B3. IIRC the first letter has something to do with the first year used but I've forgotten how it's calculated.
Dallas

If pettybludart's car is in original color, the paint code will be noted on both the fender tag and the build sheet.

Purists cover your eyes or scroll past. This is my 2¢ worth.

The closest thing I've come across to Richard Petty's blue race cars is phord's Grabber Blue. The 1972 paint code for this paint is J.

Both my fender tag and build sheet read TB3.

March 2007 094.jpg

OCT 08 005.jpg

72 Demon,
Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the dark blue used on the wheels of his early race cars was some left-over Ford engine paint.
Dallas

Yer rite MO. The wheels were dark blue.

I know nothing's good without a picture. Hope this helps. Here's what Grabber Blue looks like in my engine bay.:snakeman:

Note: When you put a lot of artificial light on this color, it will look aqua. See radiator support for example of this.

IMG_5014 small.JPG

The first car I painted circa 1975 at Community College was a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix I purchased for $100.00. I painted it blue with a gold/pearl overlay. Now that I think about the day I was picking out the blue paint chip in a paint guide book, I may have accidentally chosen Petty Blue/Basin Street Blue. I needed a solid color to highlight the pearl, and this blue was the only solid blue I could find. Just figuring that out now...
63 Pontiac1.jpeg

If pettybludart's car is in original color, the paint code will be noted on both the fender tag and the build sheet.

Purists cover your eyes or scroll past. This is my 2¢ worth.

The closest thing I've come across to Richard Petty's blue race cars is phord's Grabber Blue. The 1972 paint code for this paint is J.

This is my 72 Road Runner GTX, bought it new, still have it. Build Sheet, Fender Tag, and Monroney sticker all say TB3. Top pix is the car when I pulled it in the garage in 1998 when I quit driving, and parked it. Bottom image is 2007 when restoration that started in 2003 was finished. I used Dupont Chroma base/clear coat and the paint store used a data sheet they had for TB3 Chrysler paint. Before I went to the paint store I cleaned up a spot on the roof, trying to get back to the original color, as far as I could tell.

On the "Petty Blue" thing, may be urban legend says since Chrysler made the Dodge Daytona the first winged car, Petty wasn't able to race one since he was a Plymouth driver. So in 1969 he went drag racing for Ford. In 1970 the winged car was the Plymouth Superbird and Petty came back to the Mopar camp. Again, this has NOT been verified by the "Donnie Baker, I swear to God it's TRUE" fact checking system!

Mopar Road Runner Then & Now.jpg

This is my 72 Road Runner GTX, bought it new, still have it. Build Sheet, Fender Tag, and Monroney sticker all say TB3. Top pix is the car when I pulled it in the garage in 1998 when I quit driving, and parked it. Bottom image is 2007 when restoration that started in 2003 was finished. I used Dupont Chroma base/clear coat and the paint store used a data sheet they had for TB3 Chrysler paint. Before I went to the paint store I cleaned up a spot on the roof, trying to get back to the original color, as far as I could tell.

On the "Petty Blue" thing, may be urban legend says since Chrysler made the Dodge Daytona the first winged car, Petty wasn't able to race one since he was a Plymouth driver. So in 1969 he went drag racing for Ford. In 1970 the winged car was the Plymouth Superbird and Petty came back to the Mopar camp. Again, this has NOT been verified by the "Donnie Baker, I swear to God it's TRUE" fact checking system!

View attachment 1715643944

Here is what Chrysler B5 is now.... 2009 Challenger SRT8 and 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat. My "Too Blue Three"....with their names!

Too Blue Three Named.jpg

AMC Big Bad Blue is really dang close.

-
Back