Paint color choices

-
Is the low voc stuff less harmful to us or just the environment?

Good question. THAT I do not really know. I use the TCP Globals primers that say low VOC and I can tell they do not affect me like PPG epoxy that some of my body guys used for me back in the 90's. I could not get within 50 yards if they had sprayed that stuff. I have not found any topcoats that say low VOC.

Has anyone here ever used paint from www.paintforcars.com they have Alot of options as far as bc/cc single stage colors etc. I'm gonna get my primer from summit for sure I gotta decide on my paint lol I was just gonna get the single stage low voc stuff from summit but now im thinking maybe I should go with bc/cc

Has anyone here ever used paint from www.paintforcars.com they have Alot of options as far as bc/cc single stage colors etc. I'm gonna get my primer from summit for sure I gotta decide on my paint lol I was just gonna get the single stage low voc stuff from summit but now im thinking maybe I should go with bc/cc

The summit primer works real good for the price, I use it on all my stuff.

Thank you what are the 3 levels? I know you have lacquer enamel and urathane with the latter being the top but of the urathane what makes one better than the other?

I was referring to top coat "durability" not technology types.

"Durability" includes weathering resistance, chip and abrasion resistance, color fastness, scratch resistance, gloss retention, and a host of others requirements.

There are 3 levels of paint manufactures, 5 counting the junk paint manufacturers. The top paint manufacturers sell off their off-spec intermediates (materials) to the lower tier paint manufacturers, the resin and additive manufacturers do the same, thus the lesser quality paint. The worst (scrap) materials get shipped to China and third world countries for various uses there. The lower the tier paint manufacturer the less quality can be expected. In short; You sometimes get what you pay for.

In a past life I managed 3 automotive paint development labs for a top tier paint manufacturer, one lab group evaluated OEM and Refinish materials. It's surprising what you find!!. Scary results sometimes too.

FYI - Do not confuse OEM top coats with refinish top coats, as they are completely different animals.

I still paint 1 or 2 vehicles a year for close friends and relatives only , just to keep my hand in it.

This weekend; I'm painting the wife's new bike (tank, fenders) with some House of Kolor candy red with Shimirin2 flake and a whole bunch of clear coat. Hand pin striping will closely follow.

Good luck with your project!

sscuda

I was referring to top coat "durability" not technology types.

"Durability" includes weathering resistance, chip and abrasion resistance, color fastness, scratch resistance, gloss retention, and a host of others requirements.

There are 3 levels of paint manufactures, 5 counting the junk paint manufacturers. The top paint manufacturers sell off their off-spec intermediates (materials) to the lower tier paint manufacturers, the resin and additive manufacturers do the same, thus the lesser quality paint. The worst (scrap) materials get shipped to China and third world countries for various uses there. The lower the tier paint manufacturer the less quality can be expected. In short; You sometimes get what you pay for.

In a past life I managed 3 automotive paint development labs for a top tier paint manufacturer, one lab group evaluated OEM and Refinish materials. It's surprising what you find!!. Scary results sometimes too.

FYI - Do not confuse OEM top coats with refinish top coats, as they are completely different animals.

I still paint 1 or 2 vehicles a year for close friends and relatives only , just to keep my hand in it.

This weekend; I'm painting the wife's new bike (tank, fenders) with some House of Kolor candy red with Shimirin2 flake and a whole bunch of clear coat. Hand pin striping will closely follow.

Good luck with your project!

sscuda
Thank you for the info! In your opinion do you think summit hs clear is a good topcoat? I'm not talking show car quality paint job just an average OEM quality paint job that will protect for 10 years or more without fading or cracking?

Thank you for the info! In your opinion do you think summit hs clear is a good topcoat? I'm not talking show car quality paint job just an average OEM quality paint job that will protect for 10 years or more without fading or cracking?

Summit sells what is called a Tier 3 brand of topcoat. It's used by hobbyists because it applies well and is very forgiving for novice painters. I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the paint brands that we evaluated so I can't comment on the quality. Summit buys their paint from one of the Tier 3 paint manufacturers, If I knew which one I may be able to answer your question.

One thing to take under consideration is don't mix the brands or technologies of coatings. Most coatings are designed to be a used in a "system", that is use the same prime , base, clear from a single manufacturer. Surface Tensions differ greatly between manufacturers and technologies. If the difference in surface tension is great you can encounter adhesion failures between the coating layers .

I hope this helps.

Summit sells what is called a Tier 3 brand of topcoat. It's used by hobbyists because it applies well and is very forgiving for novice painters. I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the paint brands that we evaluated so I can't comment on the quality. Summit buys their paint from one of the Tier 3 paint manufacturers, If I knew which one I may be able to answer your question.

One thing to take under consideration is don't mix the brands or technologies of coatings. Most coatings are designed to be a used in a "system", that is use the same prime , base, clear from a single manufacturer. Surface Tensions differ greatly between manufacturers and technologies. If the difference in surface tension is great you can encounter adhesion failures between the coating layers .

I hope this helps.
Yes that does help thank you. Because I was considering using the urekem base from thecoatingstore with summit clear.

Thanks how long has it been on your ride? Has it held up good?

Several years under the hood of my Duster.

Going to shoot some more, kinda of an experiment on my kids 150,000 mile old jalopy car this weekend.

Bought a qt of "Shop Line PPG" base coat for a fender, door repair on the kids old junker, going to clear it with Summits clear, just because I have it.

I know not to mix paint brands, but as long as the car is somewhat the same color in this case, I do not give two s**t's, as long as it don't lift.

Well in trying to keep the brands the same I have decided to go with this paint it is a full kit bc/cc it has a a medium solid clear I wanting hs from summit but I'm afraid to mix the brands now. This closest color to burnt orange i can find without spending a fortune. What do you guys think? How close will this color be?Sunburst Orange Metallic Urethane Basecoat Clear Coat Kit Featuring 5 Star Clear Coat, PaintForCars.com

Sunburst-Orange-Metallic-Auto-Paint_208x203_2.jpg

Here is a pic of the paint chip. The other two colors I'm between is the bronze and copper metallic. I will post a pic of all three samples.

chart2.jpg

Sunburst-Orange-Metallic-Auto-Paint_208x203_2.jpg

Copper-Metallic-Auto-Paint.jpg

Bronze-Metallic-Auto-Paint_208x203_2.jpg

-
Back