Paint colour for backing plates ?

-

CL3406

Reaction score
Hello, Any one using a paint that mirrors the galvanized look of disc brake backing plates? I guess the same would be said for a gas filler tube. Application is 69 Swinger. Curious if anyone has seen anything out there that looks pretty close? Thanks.

Eastwood makes all kinds of OEM finish simulation spray paints -- try their website.

Soak them in vinegar for a week and see how they come out. I've had good success with some parts looking new afterwards. Just do one and see what happens.... scrub them with some fine steel wool asap after the soak and spray with oil or penetrating spray or they will rust quickly

Wait a minute we're trying to paint the galvanized backing plates to look galvanized? LOL and after a few stops won't they look like they're full of brake powder? I ask this because I'm currently right there myself right now and I painted most everything but this part at this point doesn't make any sense to do anything more than clean it the best I can. I mean it's galvanized it's not supposed to rust that's first and foremost and mine isn't. I just cleaned mine up the best I could and I'm rolling right there with just that particular part. I would think the dust would need something to cling to?

Wait a minute we're trying to paint the galvanized backing plates to look galvanized? LOL and after a few stops won't they look like they're full of brake powder? I ask this because I'm currently right there myself right now and I painted most everything but this part at this point doesn't make any sense to do anything more than clean it the best I can. I mean it's galvanized it's not supposed to rust that's first and foremost and mine isn't. I just cleaned mine up the best I could and I'm rolling right there with just that particular part. I would think the dust would need something to cling to?
They are already painted & I feel blasting them will strip the galvanized coating. Paint stripper may do the same so that's why the paint question. I know there are companies that coat galvanized pieces to look new but quite costly.

They are already painted & I feel blasting them will strip the galvanized coating. Paint stripper may do the same so that's why the paint question. I know there are companies that coat galvanized pieces to look new but quite costly.
For me I'm just going to go with clean. I don't want to get dirty on it or anything like that. But knowing that my car is not going to spend its time rotating above mirrors then actually driving it a little bit on the street in a little bit on the Dragstrip I'm not so worried about how detailed my brake dust catchers are. I think they're so hidden just as long as they're clean they'll be just fine. Unless you are like daily driver? And are back East with salt roads and trying to keep them from rusting?

Do you know what they were painted with ?
I know it sounds hokey but the vinegar thing really does work.
I was sceptical when I first heard of it but figured what the hell.... 2$ / gal .
I soaked my backing plates and they looked great.
I painted mine anyways because I wasn't concerned about factory look and nobody ever sees them.

For me I'm just going to go with clean. I don't want to get dirty on it or anything like that. But knowing that my car is not going to spend its time rotating above mirrors then actually driving it a little bit on the street in a little bit on the Dragstrip I'm not so worried about how detailed my brake dust catchers are. I think they're so hidden just as long as they're clean they'll be just fine. Unless you are like daily driver? And are back East with salt roads and trying to keep them from rusting?
Not a daily driver, summer weekends only & shows so no worry about salt. It pretty much only rains where I live anyway. I would like the original look or close to it.

Do you know what they were painted with ?
I know it sounds hokey but the vinegar thing really does work.
I was sceptical when I first heard of it but figured what the hell.... 2$ / gal .
I soaked my backing plates and they looked great.
I painted mine anyways because I wasn't concerned about factory look and nobody ever sees them.
I think they were primed & then painted with tremclad or rustoleum. I can't see vinegar cutting the paint off? Did you actually do that? Thanks.

Not a daily driver, summer weekends only & shows so no worry about salt. It pretty much only rains where I live anyway. I would like the original look or close to it.
Well I guess I'm pretty much right where you're at, it just rains where I live and just kind of Summer Cruiser type thing also. I just don't know how long any good paint or cleanliness will really last in that area? I really did a fine job of cleaning all my suspension parts and painting the A-Arms and stuff like that but there's just one or two areas that I feel unless it's going to go across Barrett-Jackson mirrors is kind of not necessary to do more than just a good cleaning. Again just my two cents for me.

Well I guess I'm pretty much right where you're at, it just rains where I live and just kind of Summer Cruiser type thing also. I just don't know how long any good paint or cleanliness will really last in that area? I really did a fine job of cleaning all my suspension parts and painting the A-Arms and stuff like that but there's just one or two areas that I feel unless it's going to go across Barrett-Jackson mirrors is kind of not necessary to do more than just a good cleaning. Again just my two cents for me.
Well I hate oxidation so everything gets a splash of something. I'm in it for the long haul. I hate rust! I have 2 sets of backing plates, both painted so I am hoping not to have to buy more. Cheers!

Well I hate oxidation so everything gets a splash of something. I'm in it for the long haul. I hate rust! I have 2 sets of backing plates, both painted so I am hoping not to have to buy more. Cheers!
Of course again just yesterday I was scrubbing the those clean and that's why I just threw my comment here out on the Forum. And I figured after 45 years there's absolutely not one wisp of rust or oxidation underneath all the brake dust. And you can see here in the picture where I just was like I'm going to actually scrub this all down to the galvanized metal everywhere? And it's a quarter inch away from facing the rotor. I'm feeling like at this point cleaning it is better than it's ever been in 40 of its 45 years. If it lasts another 45 years I'll be long dead.
IMG_20180403_080923.jpg

Taker easy...

Oh ... your talking about splash shields... I didn't think I remembered backing plates being galvanized.

Brake fluid will take the paint off and maybe just leave a clean galvanized surface...? Just a thought...

Hello, Any one using a paint that mirrors the galvanized look of disc brake backing plates? I guess the same would be said for a gas filler tube. Application is 69 Swinger. Curious if anyone has seen anything out there that looks pretty close? Thanks.

Check Eastwood for galvanized look spray paints/coatings.

Filler tubes were lead dipped/sprayed I thought.

I've never seen any consistency in galvanizing be it pipe, chain link fencing, whatever. I remember seeing somewhere, a worker was dropping bars of material, aluminum, zink, etc.., in the smelt bath, seemingly at random. its not like he'll taste the soup to know if it needs another pinch of this or that LOL
So I can believe one mans dust shields are a lot more rusted than another's.
Clean them, paint them, or just throw them away. They aren't req'd.

I have actually had my dust shields professionally re-galvenized. Very disappointing. Re-did it twice. Not happy. What I learned- if you have brand new mild steel, go ahead and galvanize it. But on old, used mild steel, even on something that has been previously galvanized, imperfections unseen will now come to the surface and distort the new galvanize. Bead blasting will not fix it. I ended up painting the dust shields silver. My loss is your gain. Thanks for bringing up such a painful subject. Hope this helps.

I have actually had my dust shields professionally re-galvenized. Very disappointing. Re-did it twice. Not happy. What I learned- if you have brand new mild steel, go ahead and galvanize it. But on old, used mild steel, even on something that has been previously galvanized, imperfections unseen will now come to the surface and distort the new galvanize. Bead blasting will not fix it. I ended up painting the dust shields silver. My loss is your gain. Thanks for bringing up such a painful subject. Hope this helps.
I couldn't find any decent used plates so I just re-painted one of my sets. Turned out decent with a galvanized look, a little dark but enough is enough! Not trying to win any concourse awards, just a Swinger..The picture looks darker than it actually is in real life.

Painted Backing Plate.JPG
Backing plate paint.JPG

-
Back