Paint exhaust manifolds?

-

TRWRacing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Transferring the exhaust manifolds from '73 340 to new LA 360.

Is it worth painting painting them? They would have to be wire wheel or sanded, as I don't have access to a media blaster.

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

can you honestly look at those two engines side by side and think it is NOT worth it?

Point made Any recommendations how to do it with limited tools and what paint that would last? It's my understanding that from the factory that would be painted Chrysler Blue in '73

soak them in oven cleaner
then power wash them
then hit them with a wire wheel and paint them with high temp paint

or....send them to Leanne

Paint recommendations? Anything good available from a local auto parts store? Or need to get from Eastwood?

image.jpeg
VHT has the highest temperature rating that I have seen. It was at my local parts store.
Yote

Last edited:
I like the brush on stuff sold by eastwood. make sure you "cure" them I usually put them on my wood burner in the garage and warm them up to cure the paint.
some guys use the oven ( don't let your wife find out ) and make sure the windows are open. have done quite a few sets this way. they hold up pretty well.
I have heard of guys starting the car running it for a few minutes, letting it cool and repeating it a couple times to cure them.

To cure mine I use a acetylene torch with a rosebud tip and a handheld digital thermometer to monitor the temperature.
Yote

I would replace the small hole 340 passenger's manifold with the much, much larger 360 magnum. This way the exhaust outlets would match. Of course you'd have to redo a short section of your passenger's down pipe?? The small hole 340 passenger's manifold only has a 1 7/8" outlet, the 360 magnum can be opened up to a little over 2 1/4", which is what the 340 driver outlet measures.
Otherwise, a good circular wire brush on a drill, high heat paint and proper heat treat as per can instructions will accomplish what you're looking for:
DSC03989.JPG
DSC03513.JPG

treblig

My 360 is not a Magnum but an LA. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
You can put 340s and 360 magnum manifolds on just about any small block mopar. I prefer using the newer heads with the larger exhaust ports that match the 340/360 outlets. But there are quite a few FABO members that have used them on the earlier (late 60s, early 70s) heads.
I'm running the large hole 340 driver's manifold with the 360 magnum passenger's manifold in my '69 318 Barracuda. I used the 302 casting heads to take advantage of the larger exhaust port. Any 360 should also have the larger exhaust ports.
treblig

I used the por brand manifold paint with a brush and it turned out nice and has held up so far but it's only been a few months. Dustin

i know a few guys that use the eastwood paint.. they put it on with a foam brush.. if rust pops through they scotch brite the area and recoat..:)

i know a few guys that use the eastwood paint.. they put it on with a foam brush.. if rust pops through they scotch brite the area and recoat..:)
I have used the Eastwood paint on Headers with excellent results.

I've had horrible luck with VHT on head pipes and collectors. There's no way I'd try to use that stuff on exhaust manifolds.

I've used POR15 exhaust paint on a couple of cars and been very pleased. Used a wire brush and drill with steel brush to clean up, prepped with degreaser and painted. On 3rd year with 318 manifolds and they still look great.

Well I didn't, but some might. I put two coats on with foam brush, let them sit over night put on car fired it up got em hot and let them bake.

Took a quick pic for you to see before you order. A pint is plenty, you don't use very much

IMG_20161006_094841616.jpg

Nice. The look I am going for. Nice valve covers too! I have the same ones.

-
Back