Paint hazy after coolant spill

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Long story short, I got coolant on my hood and now the paint is hazy and rough. This is original 1974 E5 red paint. Immediately after the spill I washed the car and applied Meguiar's cleaner wax. That helped temporarily, but over the following weeks it clouded over again. Should I try the cleaner wax again or is there something better I can do?

the paint might be lacquer and it doesn't like alcohol.

I have no idea if this will work for you.

I have an old safe from the early 1900s. it is black in color, someone (not me) set a glass directly on the paint and it left a water ring. I tried a few things to fix it (internet searches) and nothing worked. I had some lemon oil furniture polish and just for grins wiped some on and right off. The white ring disappeared. I have no idea why based on my knowledge of the process. every 6 to 12 months the white ring reappears but a quick wipe and its gone again.

I tried a second application of cleaner wax. It took off a rather disturbing amount of paint. Right now it looks really good for a 47 year old paint job, but it also looked pretty good after the first time I used the wax. If the haze comes back again I'll try a clay bar next time.

clay bar should remove coolant residue on old paint. Then wax the area again.

Just for “ha-ha’s” try wiping it with WD-40.

Paint goes south because the oil evaporates over time. Wax covers it up and protects the oil from escaping. Try a small amount of WD on a small spot. See if adding oil removed the spot and restores the color. Also another chemical I’ve used is Nu-finish. It works great on old paint. It will remove the oxidized top layer so rub cautiously. If either don’t speak to you- that’s okay. These have worked for me.

I never tried it on vehicle paint, but I've done this a lot on wood finish. The white ring left from drinking glasses, or something hot on your table, is moisture that got into the finish.

Pour on a good bit of cutting board oil and very lightly rub it in circles with super fine 0000 steel wool. Again, I have no idea how it would work car finish, but try it on those white rings on wooden tables. Works great!

I thought an iron over a paper towel got out water rings? Can say that for paint. If WD40 rejoooovinates paint....what fixes clear coat...same?

I thought an iron over a paper towel got out water rings?

Yes, that works on wood sometimes also.

I've also steamed out small dents in wood doing that - too bad it doesn't work that way for metal. :BangHead:

I wouldn't go for any sketchy home remedies. If you really want it fixed, take it to a body shop and get professional advice.

Here is a safer alternative....

Get a bottle of Meguirs #7 Show Car glaze. Only #7, nothing else. Do not apply according to the directions. (Like any of us read directions.)

Lay it on heavy and leave it on thick and gooey inside a garage overnight. The next day, put more on and wipe away what you have. Then buff it out.

Meguiars #7 is a very old-school polish. It actually leaves behind an oily residue designed for Laquer paints. Since your paint ahs been "de-oiled" this process will attempt to put the oil back into the paint. This process only works on old paint and does not work on BC/CC or 1-stage. Only old paints.

Its worth trying if you have "dried" your laquer.

Good luck,
RGAZ

I dont know any particular remedy but old single stage paint is different from new for example they used to compound the old paint with that gritty compound, that would really ruin a newer paint job. id research what you can actually put on those old paint jobs, going to a body shop may help if you have an old head body guy who knows there, young guys may not know.

-
Back