Paint Question: Should I...

-

fastfret7

Reaction score
New to this great forum and to a Dodge Dart and was wondering if I should keep my new 1965 Dart GT 225 Convertible the original color(Gold Metallic) or change it to a new one(Bright Red)? The color is not the most attractive color and it has been repainted the same color(Gold Metallic)... Does it really kill the value if I change the color? I have have the original engine, but currently have a 69 225 slant 6 in it.... Thanks everyone for all your help!!! Here is my car below...

DartJuly2010003.jpg

DartJuly2010001.jpg

A big part of the answer to the question is.......what is it worth in its original condition? In rare combinations, certainly it can matter. If this car isn't considered to be rare (for whatever reason), it will probably have little impact except to a purist potential buyer. But worth is really only determined by what someone else is willing to pay for it. If it is a tasteful transformation to another color that still compliments the interior color it may not be that big a deal. Do you intend to keep it or sell it? If you're intending to paint and then sell, maybe original is the way to go. If you're going to paint and keep it....going for the resale red may be a good thing if that is what you really want. L8r

Jim

Good info Jim... I plan on keeping it... I just find that gold color kinda boring and that red would really match the white interior/black top. But, I didn't want to ruin the worth of the car by making changes... "resale red" I haven't heard that before.. awesome!:thumblef:

If red will make you enjoy the car more, go for it. It will look nice with the black top and white interior.
Frankly, the average guy doesn't care that much about matching numbers or the original color. They just know whether the car looks sharp and attractive to them.......and it's hard to beat a red convertible! :cheers:
Dallas
BTW, I have changed the color on several cars through the years and haven't regretted it yet, and it's never hurt the resale that I could tell.

If you want to be like everyone else and have your car go unnoticed because it is just another red car in a sea of red cars........ Paint it red.

IMO the advice above about whether it is a "rare" car or not is the best so far.
If it was something really rare and special with few similar surviving, then keeping it very close to factory would definately increase it's value.

It is a nice car (even in that gold colour, IMO), but if you intend to keep it, then it's you that you need to please. Red is a popular colour (as someone else has pointed out), but then that will eventually (when you do sell) increase your share of the potential buyers, eh?
If it was mine I would go for the red - I too like red - it's eyecatching - and it suits the '60's cars IMO.
Yep - IT'S YOUR CHOICE !
Good luck whichever way you go and keep us posted.

Paint it what you like best. You are going to enjoy it more, and that should offset any minor decrease in value.

For what it's worth, I happen to REALLY like that gold color! My '67 Dart post was that color, but with gold interior. I never got around to it on mine, but I would match the wheels to that color. Matching red might be a little much, unless you are going for the hot rod look. Another thought (and maybe it's just me) is that I find bright colors (and larger wheels) on an A-body make them look smaller.

Does your car even need paint (other than to change color)? It looks very nice in the photos.

FWIT. I have a 65 cuda with the original color gold, I like that. I am however, going to add an accent stripe, similar to the Nike swoop, down the side in 65 Chrysler moss gold. It makes it different but stays with the gold interior and original color. As others have said, do what makes you feel good about the car. Oh, my dad bought the car for my mom in 65. Welcome the to the fun

Thanks everyone!!! Man, I guess there is a lot of red convertibles and not too many gold original gt convertibles out there.. Hmmmm... I guess maybe keeping it original might be the way to go..

Here's my 2 cents. I owned a 1970 340 Swinger for 25 years and just recently sold it. I am a bodyman and painter by trade...so everytime I saw a color combo I liked...I would mask it off and repaint it. I painted it Yellow, then Sublime with a black hood, and then Red. Bottom line is it is YOUR car...make it the way you like it best.

-
Back