Paint Remover

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I'm wondering that paint remover will be
ok on these parts. I am going to strip these headlight shells from a Demon. I'm using Rust-oleum aircraft remover. Your thoughts.

Ted.

040.JPG

I'm wondering that paint remover will be
ok on these parts. I am going to strip these headlight shells from a Demon. I'm using Rust-oleum aircraft remover. Your thoughts.

Ted.

View attachment 1715247118
Just sand it or bead blast it. Chemical paint removers are a pain in the ***. I usually try to do paint removal
mechanically. Keep paint strippers away from plastic, stainless, etc. Not good to breath and clean up is a mess.
In the case of many layers of paint, which your part doesn't appear to be, multiple applications are usually needed.
Paint stripper may not be good for pot metal either.

If you insist on using a chemical stripper. After you apply the paint stripper cover it with plastic wrap (Saran Wrap). The plastic wrap slows the evaporation process allowing the stripper to do it's job. It cuts down on the number of applications of stripper used to remove the paint films.

Yes, wear a charcoal mask (at the very least) and do it in a well ventilated area. Your lungs will thank you for it.

I glass bead everything. The exception being things like valve covers since they are baffled and you dont want abrasives up inside there where you cant get it out.
Those are fender extensions, not headlight shells....just fyi. You can use the stripper on those if you dont have access to a blast cabinet. You will want to wash them with soapy water after to get rid of all the stripper residue. Honestly you might just sand those by hand, its factory paint and does not look to have any adhesion issues. Sand then do your body work and seal it.

I could never get the stripper to do what I wanted. After applying over and over, I opted for glass bead. Wouldn’t go back. Just couldn’t cut thru the paint on mine

-
Back