Painted my rollcage yesterday pics

-

Duane

Reaction score
This has to be one of the most pain in the *** jobs to do, but I am glad I did it.
I have always liked the look of a bracket car with the cage painted the same colour as the body of the car.
In my case this is Porsche red. I am a do it yourselfer so I did this with 12 spray cans of paint. My local paint and body supply can put real automotive paint in a spray can. I used acrylic enamel, 3 coats 10-15 minutes apart and 1 coat of duplicolor clear.
As with any kind of paint job, it's the prep, and I spent months prepping this.
Not just the bars, but masking the entire car. However I am happy with the results. A few flaws here and there but for a spray can job in a home garage I think it came out pretty good. Good enough for a race car lol.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Great Job! I'm not looking forward to painting mine when the time comes. Looks really good!

This has to be one of the most pain in the *** jobs to do, but I am glad I did it.
I have always liked the look of a bracket car with the cage painted the same colour as the body of the car.
In my case this is Porsche red. I am a do it yourselfer so I did this with 12 spray cans of paint. My local paint and body supply can put real automotive paint in a spray can. I used acrylic enamel, 3 coats 10-15 minutes apart and 1 coat of duplicolor clear.
As with any kind of paint job, it's the prep, and I spent months prepping this.
Not just the bars, but masking the entire car. However I am happy with the results. A few flaws here and there but for a spray can job in a home garage I think it came out pretty good. Good enough for a race car lol.

View attachment 1715399404

View attachment 1715399405

View attachment 1715399406

View attachment 1715399407

View attachment 1715399408

View attachment 1715399409
That looks really good. I have to paint one tomorrow and I am not confident my ancient flexibility will allow me to do as good a job as you did.
I will do 2 coats primer and two of color.

That looks really good. I have to paint one tomorrow and I am not confident my ancient flexibility will allow me to do as good a job as you did.
I will do 2 coats primer and two of color.
What flexibility. I am down and out today lol.
Like I said this is a bad job.
I put 3 coats because I have learned over the years that paint is more durable when the mil thickness is higher and do not wait to long between coats imho

I love that look too. But you're right...it's definitely for the limber crowd. And to do it nice like you are doing takes a TON of prep work long before the paint comes out.

Can't wait to see the car together.

I love that look too. But you're right...it's definitely for the limber crowd. And to do it nice like you are doing takes a TON of prep work long before the paint comes out.

Can't wait to see the car together.
That makes 2 of us. But it's starting to come together now.
With the cage paint done now the windshield can go back in, carpet, shifter,electronics etc, just the sequence of assembly, and the dash can go in lol.

I love the way how you appreciate everybody else putting up pictures of their stuff...
What was it you called people who like pictures?....

I appreciate your pictures too. I never said I dont like looking at pictures. I hate having my picture taken. And I hate even more taking pictures.

My mom and dad had a hard time getting me to take school pictures, football and baseball pictures...holiday pictures. Imagine my surprise when the army made me get my picture taken!

So I like looking at pictures. I detest taking them.

Which reminds me...I was supposed to take some pictures of the porting on my heads in the car. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

I appreciate your pictures too. I never said I dont like looking at pictures. I hate having my picture taken. And I hate even more taking pictures.

My mom and dad had a hard time getting me to take school pictures, football and baseball pictures...holiday pictures. Imagine my surprise when the army made me get my picture taken!

So I like looking at pictures. I detest taking them.

Which reminds me...I was supposed to take some pictures of the porting on my heads in the car. Maybe I'll do that tonight.
Just so we're straight here, I don't like pictures of myself and rarely have you seen any on the forum.
Just the cars and what we're doing to them...:thumbsup:

That looks great! I did mine with Plasticote Hammer tone paint. I put it on with a combo of brush and rattle can. I have actually had a couple people ask how I was able to take the cage out and get it powder coated. The part I like is when it gets scratched up and it does I just get the brush and can out and in two minutes it looks like new.

-
Back