Painting 6 point roll bar inside the car

-

Walker434

Reaction score
I'm having a 6 point roll bar installed in the 71 Dart. What have you guys done for paint in the past? Take the time to mask it off and rattle can? I've also heard of guys using a small roller and a foam brush?

Any photos of the finished product would be great! Thanks!

I'm having a 6 point roll bar installed in the 71 Dart. What have you guys done for paint in the past? Take the time to mask it off and rattle can? I've also heard of guys using a small roller and a foam brush?

Any photos of the finished product would be great! Thanks!
Any pics of the install points espically where hoop mounts to car? About to start on the 8point in my sons car .

I will post pics of the roll bar as soon as I get the car back. I hired a guy to build the roll bar. Other than that I have turned all my own wrenches and it's killing me waiting on this to be done and having no Dart to tinker with.

Go to local grocery store, liquor store and grab as much cardboard as you can carry. lol Thats what i did, cover everything and rattle can away. Primer then paint.

I have used paint brush & I have taped the car up (inside & out) sprayed with spray can. Depends on how fancy you want to get

I used a foam roller and some Hammer tone paint from Lowes.
Looks like this (upper right of the pic). Nice and clean compared to a rattle can.
vespa-hammertone-paint-250x250.jpg

I painted mine black using a spray gun and por 15 paint. It took a lot of taping things off but I like it. Heres 2 pics.
DSCN1505.JPG
DSCN0540.JPG

Rod

Lots and lots of masking and VHT roll bar and chassis paint. I painted mine during the winter and draped plastic everywhere with a heater blowing in. Didn’t turn out perfect just due to not being able to hold the right temp but turned out good. Hardest part was painting the rear bars which are 1/4” away from the back glass and right where everyone from the outside can see.

Go to local grocery store, liquor store and grab as much cardboard as you can carry. lol Thats what i did, cover everything and rattle can away. Primer then paint.

Exactly what I did while it was at the shop. Came out nice.

Don’t forget to clean the bars very well. I started with soapy water. Then alcohol. Then I sandpapered them. Back to water wipe down. Alcohol again.

I used engine paint only because it was best color match for other parts of the car and overall color scheme.

Oh. And use a respirator. Or something similar. Unless your outside in an open field. I kept the doors shut because we were in shop with other cars around. Regardless I would have done that. It’s amazing how much and how far the misty clouds of paint will go. Lol.

6ECDAC1D-4AC3-434D-8F6A-AB96EBFE6741.jpeg
36AFCBEF-36B2-4753-A607-4ED9FEC11164.jpeg

To match

8D627C12-252C-4FAC-88E1-2C5352473DA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you drink the alcohol or use it to clean the bar? That part I’m a bit mixed up on....

LOL. Never a bad idea to take a shot or two ..here or there.

It was a lot of work but I masked off the whole inside and outside of my car and used satin black spray cans.

20171024_205126.jpg

20171026_201911.jpg

Pro. That looks awesome. Ya. To do it right is PIA but worth it.

Pro. That looks awesome. Ya. To do it right is PIA but worth it.

I had my local paint Store mix up some paint from the paint code from my car and had them put it in aerosol cans for me. Way to difficult moving around with a paint gun and air hose. It just finds a way to drag over what you already painted.

Challenger Progress 016.jpg

100_1666 [640x480].jpg

20150424_205804_resized_1.jpg

It's a lot of work. Primed the entire cage one day with several coats. Painted the next day and cleared after.

Challenger Progress 027 [640x480].jpg

Challenger Progress 033 [640x480].jpg

Challenger Progress 034 [640x480].jpg

Challenger Progress 032 [640x480].jpg

I ended up using the Rustoleum Hammertone paint from Home Depot and a roller brush and foam brush. Had planned on using their "Deep Green"..... This green looked awful on its own. It was more of an emerald green color. So rather than just leave the green I went back and bought black and brown also. Now the cage is camo and you can't even see it!! What cage?

Dart 14.jpg

-
Back