Painting over a repaint

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing some rusted and wrecked parts on my RamCharger. It was originally red, then painted with a single stage gloss black. The parts I’m installing are tan and look to be a factory paint.
I’m wanting it two tone, black and B5 blue, with a clear. Not trying to make it a show truck, just nicer than it is. I’m going to attempt to do it in my driveway, so I’m not expecting it to be perfect.
My question is, do you think the fresh paint would stick to the single stage repaint if I hit it all with a light sanding or a scotch bright?
My plan is to paint the new parts with a single stage black and bolt them on, and do the blue, and clear later on. Is this a stupid idea?
Thanks, Craig.

Hmm. Many others are way more knowledgeable than I in this... so the single stage that's existing, you bare just gonna clear over that?

Hmm. Many others are way more knowledgeable than I in this... so the single stage that's existing, you bare just gonna clear over that?
Either that, or just repaint the whole truck with single stage, then only clear coat over the B5 blue. I’m a total noob when it comes to painting cars. Been watching a bunch of YouTube videos and it looks easy enough.
I’m wanting the paint to look similar to this
98CE2CCD-A05A-4049-8352-8C782B44A201.jpeg

Here’s mine
AD3309E0-DAA4-4091-A2EB-D0D34898887D.jpeg

I’m replacing some rusted and wrecked parts on my RamCharger. It was originally red, then painted with a single stage gloss black. The parts I’m installing are tan and look to be a factory paint.
I’m wanting it two tone, black and B5 blue, with a clear. Not trying to make it a show truck, just nicer than it is. I’m going to attempt to do it in my driveway, so I’m not expecting it to be perfect.
My question is, do you think the fresh paint would stick to the single stage repaint if I hit it all with a light sanding or a scotch bright?
My plan is to paint the new parts with a single stage black and bolt them on, and do the blue, and clear later on. Is this a stupid idea?
Thanks, Craig.

Will the paint stick? Yes. Will it look good? Kinda depends on your ability to lay down even coats. Will it last? Very hard to say.
You can definitely paint over existing single stage. Sand it with 400 grit, then shoot it with 2K primer, then shoot your paint. Adding the primer to your equation will only cost a little more, but will give you the substrate you need to have a nice finished product. You wanna knock the shine off the current paint, sand it down until it's a bit dull.
Wash the truck before you sand it. Get any contaminants off the current paint that you can.
Are you taking the trim off? If you can, you should. Yes, it's extra work but so is taping off all the trim on the truck.
Also, you do not NEED to go back with clear coat over single stage paint. It is already mixed in. You CAN clear coat it if you want, but it's not necessary.

Will the paint stick? Yes. Will it look good? Kinda depends on your ability to lay down even coats. Will it last? Very hard to say.
You can definitely paint over existing single stage. Sand it with 400 grit, then shoot it with 2K primer, then shoot your paint. Adding the primer to your equation will only cost a little more, but will give you the substrate you need to have a nice finished product. You wanna knock the shine off the current paint, sand it down until it's a bit dull.
Wash the truck before you sand it. Get any contaminants off the current paint that you can.
Are you taking the trim off? If you can, you should. Yes, it's extra work but so is taping off all the trim on the truck.
Also, you do not NEED to go back with clear coat over single stage paint. It is already mixed in. You CAN clear coat it if you want, but it's not necessary.
Thank you. I’d like to take the trim off, but after taking it off of the fender I’m replacing, I don’t think I’ll ever get it back on unless I can find some new clips. The previous owner didn’t take it off when they painted it, so it’s basically held on with paint, hopes, and dreams.

Thank you. I’d like to take the trim off, but after taking it off of the fender I’m replacing, I don’t think I’ll ever get it back on unless I can find some new clips. The previous owner didn’t take it off when they painted it, so it’s basically held on with paint, hopes, and dreams.
Hahaha! Classic+

Just take your time around the trim, tape it slowly and make sure the tape edges are securely down.

For the clips, check out Ramchargercentral.com.
You may already be a member there, if not I bet someone there can hook you up.

Message me, I can put you in contact will a guy that parts Dodge trucks for a living, he most likely will have any part you need.

It’s going to come down to what your mental idea of “not perfect” is before you start the job and what you actually see once the project is painted as being “not perfect”. If the two are the same then you won’t have any issues. However, if they are different, every time you look at the truck once it’s done, you will say to yourself “I should have taken more the old paint off first, I should have filled the dents more, I should have removed all the trim……”

-
Back