Painting Wheels.....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Ford's 14" sport wheels for my project V8 Mercury Bobcat. I am converting the car to 5 lug. These wheels are an exact match to Mopar Road Wheels. Look like Magnum 500s, but are painted instead.

My question is, what is a good way to paint them using rattle can paint? I know it's not the best, but it's what I have.

Here is my plan. Blast them, then prime them with self etching primer. Spray them with the silver for the spokes, then mask them off and come behind that with the darker color for the insets.

Any advice? Thanks.

Is there any way to bake them after? Bbq? 200* would be good I would think?
What about wrinkle black?

If powder coating is out of the question, I'd say do everything possible to make sure the paint and primer have the best adhesion as possible. Clean and degrease the crap out of those wheels after you blast them. I'm sure you know this RRR. Best of luck.

I wish I could afford powder coating. I would send them to Leanna so quick. Unfortunately, that is out of the question. I am gonna have to deal with what I have.

Wash with soap and water. Use an air compressor to blow of all the water and to get Into the cracks. Use a tach cloth afterwards to get all the extra dust.
When spraying do t get to close. Don't put it on too thick either. When you have something with all those angle like a rim I like to spray certain areas with quick small bursts so you don't cause any runs. Don't be afraid to do a few coats. Going to thick and trying to cover all in one shot and u increase chances of runs
Don't spray some in a plac where you spray wd 40. WD-40 blows silicone dust particles that will never truly leave an area. 10 years later and you can still get fish eyes.
Make sure your suface is prepped well. If you don't your paint will fail earlier and more hardcore. Don't be afraid to get meticulous prepping. Just go easy Painting. Make sure coats are nice and dry between coats. If not dry and u put fresh paint t over it u can cause some more issues.

If you have never done it, blasting wheels suck!
Also painting them is a pain in the rear.
Also I know you have air, buy a cheap paint gun and shoot them, much easier than spray bomb. And sometimes cheaper, look into Summit racings paint line, there paint works good.

We paint wheels every day for a major auto outlet. You're right on track with everything you said in your original post. The key to any paint job is surface prep and making sure everything is clean. You can also go to the local auto paint supply company and buy a can of clear to finish the wheels off. It's a little pricey, but it makes the wheels look like a factory OEM finish. Good luck!

I wish I could afford powder coating. I would send them to Leanna so quick. Unfortunately, that is out of the question. I am gonna have to deal with what I have.
RRR, I`ve got a pair of 14x5, or 5 1/2 ford wheels that have been powdercoated black, 4 1/2' bolt pattern. they were a little rusty before being sand blasted, but turned out pretty nice. U can have them if u want to pay shipping charges on them !------bob

RRR, I`ve got a pair of 14x5, or 5 1/2 ford wheels that have been powdercoated black, 4 1/2' bolt pattern. they were a little rusty before being sand blasted, but turned out pretty nice. U can have them if u want to pay shipping charges on them !------bob

I will surely take them. I need a spare anyway, plus I was really looking for narrower than 14x7 for the front. Anything but 14x7 is hard to find now.

VHT makes chip resitant epoxy paints. Not really expensive & prolly hold up better than regular spray paints!:thumbsup:

VHT makes chip resitant epoxy paints. Not really expensive & prolly hold up better than regular spray paints!:thumbsup:

That's what I am going to use. VHT makes a line of wheel specific paint. I already have the colors picked out.

Ahh ok then your good!! Just prep and cleanliness. Everything will turn out fine just take your time no rushing! I have found by experience that taking time to mask neatly and surface prep yields pro results without a paint gun!:)

i like the rustoleum hard hat paints. that stuff is tough..

when i used to do my pontiac wheels i'd paint the silver, mask off the silver then paint the black.. used spray cans back then..

img081.jpg

I have a set of Ford's 14" sport wheels for my project V8 Mercury Bobcat. I am converting the car to 5 lug. These wheels are an exact match to Mopar Road Wheels. Look like Magnum 500s, but are painted instead.

My question is, what is a good way to paint them using rattle can paint? I know it's not the best, but it's what I have.

Here is my plan. Blast them, then prime them with self etching primer. Spray them with the silver for the spokes, then mask them off and come behind that with the darker color for the insets.

Any advice? Thanks.

That's the way I would do it. I actually prefer rattle cans for wheels because it's easy to come back and refreshen them any time you want.

-
Back