Park not engaging after front end work?

-

67fish383S

Reaction score
I have a '72 Duster 360/905/8.75" 3.55 sure grip. I just finished doing a power steering upgrade from the factory box to a Borgeson box. I also swapped the factory front drums to disc with the Dr. Diff kit. I'm currently waiting (forever it seems like) to get it aligned before I can actually drive it, but I noticed when I took it for a short test drive that PARK is now essentially the same as NEUTRAL (wheels turn freely). I am assuming it is related to my having to disconnect the column to do the steering swap. Nothing out of the ordinary when disconnecting/reconnecting the linkage. Shifts in and out of PARK no problem. No binding or anything. Just no PARK.

Any ideas about what to look for? I'm a competent mechanic when it comes to the engine bay, but steering/suspension/brake work, at this level anyway, is relatively new to me. Thanks.

If it worked before it can work again, its just out of adjustment. The column has its detents, and the transmission also has its own which can throw off the "feel" of the shifting. I adjusted mine by getting under the car and loosening the adjuster on the arm closest to the trans and having someone inside slowly move the shifter back and forth. Once I confirmed which direction was "park" on the transmission I manually moved the shifter arm on the trans all the way in that direction making 100% sure it was in park then making sure the column inside was in park and tightening it down. You might have to fiddle with it a little after that point to get it perfect but that is a good starting point.
If I understood you correctly, it sounds like when you are in "park" on the column, the trans might be floating on the detent between Park and reverse.

If it worked before it can work again, its just out of adjustment. The column has its detents, and the transmission also has its own which can throw off the "feel" of the shifting. I adjusted mine by getting under the car and loosening the adjuster on the arm closest to the trans and having someone inside slowly move the shifter back and forth. Once I confirmed which direction was "park" on the transmission I manually moved the shifter arm on the trans all the way in that direction making 100% sure it was in park then making sure the column inside was in park and tightening it down. You might have to fiddle with it a little after that point to get it perfect but that is a good starting point.
If I understood you correctly, it sounds like when you are in "park" on the column, the trans might be floating on the detent between Park and reverse.
Thanks. After looking at the shop manual, which is what I should have done in the first place, adjusting the linkage a little to correct PARK not engaging was pretty simple. Column detents feel sloppy, but after 50 years, why wouldn't they. It all seems to be working again, at least as good as it did before I took the column out.

-
Back