Parking Brake Cable Replacement

-

vynn23

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the parking brake cable in my '67 Dart convertible. I finally got the old broken cable out, after lots of cursing.

How in the f@&k do you get the new cable threaded blindly through all the damned twists and turns of the frame near the torsion bar crossmember without disassembling/cutting apart the damned car??? The cable fittings get hung up on things I can't even see, and certainly can't reach. I've tried going in from the top and the bottom, neither works for me. They HAD to have redesigned this on later models, right? It seems impossible to replace!!!

I need to get this done in order to get it inspected. Do I have to pull the engine, torsion bars, and shifter linkage and get the damned car 10' in the air on a lift just to do this??? Pretty frustrated right now.

My 69 Dart wasnt too much trouble but the engine bay was empty.... try running some string thru in reverse.. tie it to the cable and use it to pull it thru and guide it....
Do you have torque boxes to deal with ?

My assumption is that you are not trying to replace the entire brake cable outer sheathing and inner cable but just the inner cable in the OE sheathing.

Same basic thought as mbaird but get some bailing wire or the like. try to make a rounded end on the end you are starting into the sheathing (make a 180 deg bend on the end and solder and smooth the area so there is nothing that can get stuck if you need to pull it out.) Feed it through the sheathing, the tricky part will be to attach the bailing wire to the brake cable with a strong and smooth connection (solder /weld???) and pull it back through. I would suspect lost of lube would help too.

good luck.

Sorry – I didn't even know it was possible to replace the cable alone. No, I'm replacing the entire cable assembly, and failing miserably. Yes, the driver's torque box is the area that's giving me the problem, and that may be why this problem is uncommon.

Thinking I was clever, I actually fabricated a sheetmetal turnbuckle, connected the new cable to the old at the front before I removed it, and tried to use the old cable to guide the new one as I pulled the old cable out from the back, but they got badly hung up in the bid area trying to pull them through. After a lot of work, I finally pulled them out again from the front.

I just don't see any way to use a string or wire to lead the cable through the area I'm having trouble with. I just don't have adequate access.

I'm not looking at it right now, but is there any reason I can't just buy/fabricate retaining clips to fasten the cable along the inside of the frame rail and avoid this problem altogether, or would the force of using the parking brake be too much strain on the clips?

If the engine bay is not empty it can be real pain.... I dont think you will have enough length to route it under the car.

Alongside the same frame rail, same path? I don't understand. I can't believe it would eat more than additional inch or two...

-
Back