Parking Brake Spring Length?

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Another screw up on my car. What is the nominal spring length for the Parking Brake (PM) cables in the L/R and R/R brake assemblies? I see a squashed spring in both brake assemblies when PB handle is not pulled. I recall the OEM spring lengths being 4-4 1/2 in when NOT activated nor not compressed. Too much spring compression initially will not allow brake shoes to expand and contact brake hub. .

Why does DORMAN and RIGHT STUFF have 5 1/2 in spring length?I called RIGHT STUFF and they assured me OEM specs were used and I screwed up. Time for a modification with a
grinder (carefully!!!!).

Brake issues all over and you guys solved or recommended solutions. Appreciate all the help.

Love MOPAR. Thx and hope to hear from the best.

Are you talking about the wound spring that is around the e-brake cable inside the drum?

What Aftermarket purchase were this and or these?

Man I hate aftermarket parts!!!! The spring on the end of the emergency brake cable was too long and could not get it assembled. Fortunately I kept the old one and the spring on the end was a lot shorter!!! After cutting the spring shorter , it all goes together with no problem!!! Right Stuff RSBCY03

Man I hate aftermarket parts!!!! The spring on the end of the emergency brake cable was too long and could not get it assembled. Fortunately I kept the old one and the spring on the end was a lot shorter!!! After cutting the spring shorter , it all goes together with no problem!!! Right Stuff RSBCY03

I am pretty sure I ordered from Inline Tubes with all the brake and Fuel lines. Did not have any of those issues and upgraded Fuel to 3/8. The Fuel lines actually fit pretty well!

I am pretty sure I ordered from Inline Tubes with all the brake and Fuel lines. Did not have any of those issues and upgraded Fuel to 3/8. The Fuel lines actually fit pretty well!
What is the final length of the spring? I got no where with Right Stuff. No idea how to contact Dorman. Aftermarket stuff is junk. Could the product be made in China with no QC and no concern for OEM spec's? Right Stuff even places a spring on the long brake line parallel to the frame, dimension is now 1/4 in and will not fit in 3/16 clip. Dah........

My original springs are 4.5”. They may have compressed a little from new.
Jim

What is the final length of the spring? I got no where with Right Stuff. No idea how to contact Dorman. Aftermarket stuff is junk. Could the product be made in China with no QC and no concern for OEM spec's? Right Stuff even places a spring on the long brake line parallel to the frame, dimension is now 1/4 in and will not fit in 3/16 clip. Dah........

Never measured but ordered in 2013. Things may have likely changed since then!

Another screw up on my car. What is the nominal spring length for the Parking Brake (PM) cables in the L/R and R/R brake assemblies? I see a squashed spring in both brake assemblies when PB handle is not pulled. I recall the OEM spring lengths being 4-4 1/2 in when NOT activated nor not compressed. Too much spring compression initially will not allow brake shoes to expand and contact brake hub. .

Why does DORMAN and RIGHT STUFF have 5 1/2 in spring length?I called RIGHT STUFF and they assured me OEM specs were used and I screwed up. Time for a modification with a
grinder (carefully!!!!).

Brake issues all over and you guys solved or recommended solutions. Appreciate all the help.

grinder (carefully!!!!).

NOS- long cable=4 3/8"spring, short cable= 4 3/4" spring.

-
Back