Parking brakes with 8.8 inch ford rear and disk brakes.

-

jmwuva05

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So my rolling chassis 1972 duster has a ford 8.8 inch in it and I have a few questions I was hoping others who have been there done that could help with. So first off the previous owner had a 727 in the car and no park brake was attached. In fact the only this remaining of the park brake system is the front cable the pull handle mechanism and mid cables are all gone. Does anyone know a source for the brake mechanism a nicely restored one sold on here the other day but I'm not seeing any on any other site.. The car has Hotchkiss front to back chasis ties in place and I see the cable hole that has been welded over. I know I can line drill through the flange on the tie bar and route a cable through that. Next I read the post on here where one member had fabricate a good transition fro. The stock mopar cables to the ford rear end cables just need to try to contact them. I also have to go to the local pick and part and find the ford cables as they are not there either. Lots of work to figure thus one out as I am definately installing a manual transmission and need a park brake. I had thought about one of the local tunnel mount had brakes but would like to try and stay factory.

Does your 8.8 have the drum brake style parking brake or is it built into the caliper?

Does your 8.8 have the drum brake style parking brake or is it built into
No it is the explorer disc brakes with the mini drums made into the rotor. The arms for the actuation of the brakes are there just not connected to anything

No it is the explorer disc brakes with the mini drums made into the rotor. The arms for the actuation of the brakes are there just not connected to anything

Thanks, There are two types of parking brake systems for A bodies, one runs the main cable down the divers side to a bracket that hold a short and long cable that goes to the drums. The other I think has two equal length cables from the drums and the center cable meets them in the middle of the car. Which do you have?

If the arms on the calipers are pointed such that they are clear of the suspension, etc, "it should be easy." There are various rigging outfits that can make up cables with crimped eye or knob ends, etc. And that in combo with some of your existing hardware you should be able to devise "a hookup." Just hink carefully about how it all moves, and don't end up with a bad leverage situation where, even though you can pull on the brakes, they don't create actual braking force. You don't need "encased" cables, they can all be bare up to the connection to the upper cable assy

Thanks, There are two types of parking brake systems for A bodies, one runs the main cable down the divers side to a bracket that hold a short and long cable that goes to the drums. The other I think has two equal length cables from the drums and the center cable meets them in the middle of the car. Which do you have?
I'm out of town but I will look when I get home. The only cable in the car is the first one through the firewall down under the driver's footwell.

-
Back