Parking lights and turn signal trouble..

-

Hemihead2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm reinstalling an original front wiring harness on Duster and can't seem to get the parking lights in the grille to turn on with the mid position of the head light switch..They do function though when I use the turn signals- BUT they flash opposite of the rear light...in other words the front is on when the rear is off and vice versa. All 4 of the corner lights work.. Any ideas? I see the pigtails for the front parking lights have a ground spade but I don't know what attaches to it. Thank you.

The front bulb sockets need a chassis ground. Wires with ring terminals were attached to the radiator support with sheet metal screws, just like headlight bulbs are.

Ok- thank you! I now have all the lights working except the instrument cluster which has not come on at all during this whole process...I replaced the 3A fuse and it looked like the box was a little corroded but I cleaned them up- still nothing. The blinkers and Hi beam light are all that's come on so far. The anmeter gauge works when I pull the headlights on...any ideas? Thanks again!

The highlight switch has a rheostat that brightens or dims the illumination circuit as the switch knob is turned. Includes dash lights, ash tray light, shift indicator, radio, etc...
The rheostat may be fried or sometimes just a good cleaning will cure it. New headlight switch is the most common cure.
Due to the way this circuit is wired you could see the rheostat working at the fuse with a simple test light ( if it works ). If it is dead you wouldn't see any power at that fuse.

You were correct sir! The rheostat spring was fried. Thank you again for taking the time to advise me. Cheers!

There is a way to bypass the rheostat on a otherwise good switch. You would full on dash lamps though. A new switch isn't too expensive.

Yep- I ordered it yesterday. Thx again!

-
Back