Part 3 newbie

• Thread starter Deleted member 40550
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 40550

Hello A bodies just wanted to say hello, This will be my 3 time working on a old car with one of my kids. My youngest daughter just bought a 1969 dart today. She is so happy to have bought her first car, seeing our kids do that never gets old. It was a one owner car it has some rot but seen worse. So we will be doing some metal work but the interior is really nice only one tiny rip on the seat. We will be looking for some new fenders and only need one fender trim piece. Bumpers will also be getting replaced. The owner said car sat for almost 10 years. After the ladies husband died she had the title put just in here name in the mid 80s the millage was 23k at that time it know reads 65k so thinking it may have never been flipped over yet. We put gas in the carb and hooked up a battery and it fired up on the first crank. Will need new fuel lines and the front brakes are stuck. Hoping it wont take much to get it looking good again being she is still in high school and only works part time at taco bell.. She paid for the car and will be buying all of the parts she needs.(That's what the other 2 did) Looking forward to learning and working on this nice little dart with my youngest.. also looking forward to all of the info that we will be getting from this Forum. Will be adding a pic soon.

Here is the only pic we have for know, we will be pulling the dart out and home this week.. Need to get the tags on the car trailer.

Attachments

• Kaylas 69 dart.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 575
cool deal!!! where in Mo. i'm in s w Mo, but maybe I can help find some local metal, or post in wanted thread. local fenders should be NO problem.

my grandson just turned 15, straight A student, but lives 200 mi away. not sure what to do about him and a possible car!? LOL

welcome to the site!

cool deal!!! where in Mo. i'm in s w Mo, but maybe I can help find some local metal, or post in wanted thread. local fenders should be NO problem.

my grandson just turned 15, straight A student, but lives 200 mi away. not sure what to do about him and a possible car!? LOL

welcome to the site!

We are just outside of Farmington about a 1 1/2 hours south of St Louis. Any help would be kool and very appreciated. Its hard enough for us to work on these cars ($) even harder for the younger ones, with school, band, sports and trying to work.
Great job for the grandson. My son saved and did a lot of scrapping to get his truck after he got his eagle scout he got his truck (68 C10) when he was 15. After he got a job we got it running.. He has been driving it and working on it since then, he is know 18.
My oldest daughter did close to the same saved moneys and got her first car also. An old nova witch she also still has, Doesn't drive it much but still has it.
My grandbaby is going to be 4 in a week but she loves to be with me and is always "helping grumpy work on kool cars." Thats what she says. Its been really kool working on the cars with all of my kids cant wait to do it with the grandbaby's.

Ok with the help from the her sister and brother and even my granddaughter was there to help. We got the dart on the trailer and at its new home. Know for the memories that we will make while working on this car.

Attachments

• 11056953_819590434786321_602750734_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 603
  • 11088002_819590444786320_1993412695_n.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 580
  • 11088008_819590378119660_1127547084_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 552
  • 11092591_819590454786319_1509930956_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 577
  • 11093942_819590548119643_1510027860_n.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 11106526_819590104786354_679121978_n.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 589
Ok we got the brakes lose in the front know we can move it around now. So the plans are to replace the front and rear brakes, new fuel lines shocks. change all the fluids and then start on the body work. Came across some rot on the front suspension and the rear leaf springs but guess that is common on these cars. Going to get all that fixed also before she drives it any where. She want to get bigger wheels and ditch the 13's. And just drive it to school and work for a few years. then who know what she will do to it.

Its been rainy and we did have a real bad storm last week. My wife and 2 daughters where in town when it hit. Strong winds and Hail the size of base balls. The hail broke the drivers mirror broke the windshield and really did a number on the body of the durango, also my ranger got hit really bad same type of damage. My family was very scared several phone calls from them one from my youngest was DAD IS MY DART OK? we are 23 miles from town and we only had small size hail here so all was good no damage to any of the classic cars we have. And the family was all ok just a
little scared.
She did get her self a new set of upper control arms, new grill, headlight bezels and a rear bumper. Still looking for a hood and a set of fenders and both quarters. But unlike some she is paying for all of her stuff that she needs with her own pay checks. As did/do my other 2 kids.. We help when we can they just pay us back...

Been kinda slow on progress but moving forward, we have rebuilt the carb new fuel pump on the way (should be here Thursday) going to drop the fuel tank clean it out, maybe replace the sending unit if it doesn't work. finding a hood and fenders has been a real pain with no luck as of yet. But she did score a ok grill and bezels so she got them cleaned up and some more satin black paint on them, not show but a lot better than what is on it now...

Attachments

• 150518_001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 481
A late welcome from Minnesota! Glad to here another youngster is excited about getting into the hobby.

So after rebuilding the carb and getting the engine compartment ready we pulled the tank to check it out, well its trashed rust holes on the top of it. So she will be ordering on of those soon. The sending unit is still working good will just replace the filter and the float on it. She cleaned up the tank straps and painted them a silver color.(first time painting with a rattle can.) So once we get the new tank and all the stuff needed to replace it, should be ready to start it up.

Attachments

• 150612_002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 444
She got her new tank yesterday, we got it all cleaned up and put a coat of DuPont platinum on it.. Yea old one just was no good.. just a few other things then the tank will be ready to install, and if all is good fire up the dart...

Attachments

• yea its trashed.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 411
  • a little paint.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 439
Nice project. You came to the right place. Not sure if its a slant 6 but if it is, Id like to recommend upgrading your distributor to a mid 70s mopar slant 6 electronic one with vac advance, and fire it with a 4 pin GM HEI module. This will add to ease of starting, better fuel economy, and better performance. Plus with electronic ignition once you set the timing you can pretty much forget about it. I done points in a slanty before a bit of a pain. Plus you get to ditch the ballast resistor.

Additionally when you got the distributor out, replace the nylon drive gear with a new one. These get brittle and break with age leaving the car and your kid stranded.

If you decide to go electronic, i got a brand new distributor pickup for a slant 6 electronic dizzy. Its made by standard ignition, and was mis boxed as a V8 one. I lost reciept, waited too long, and could not return it.

Good luck on the new ride. The old darts are cool

Nice project. You came to the right place. Not sure if its a slant 6 but if it is, Id like to recommend upgrading your distributor to a mid 70s mopar slant 6 electronic one with vac advance, and fire it with a 4 pin GM HEI module. This will add to ease of starting, better fuel economy, and better performance. Plus with electronic ignition once you set the timing you can pretty much forget about it. I done points in a slanty before a bit of a pain. Plus you get to ditch the ballast resistor.

Additionally when you got the distributor out, replace the nylon drive gear with a new one. These get brittle and break with age leaving the car and your kid stranded.

If you decide to go electronic, i got a brand new distributor pickup for a slant 6 electronic dizzy. Its made by standard ignition, and was mis boxed as a V8 one. I lost reciept, waited too long, and could not return it.

Good luck on the new ride. The old darts are cool

Oh wow haven't heard of that mod? Was thinking about doing the pertronix set up. I did it on my 70 nova and had good luck with it? Don't want her or her car to be stranded. Will have to do some reading on your mod. Yea she really did fall in love with this dart, yes we all think the old darts looks pretty kool has some really good lines. thanks for the help Steve

Looks like a fun for everybody project. Pertronix is "OK" lots of people use them. Only downside I have is that "if it" should quit, good luck buying parts at the nearest store. So consider carrying spares for it.

The HEI module is available "everywhere" and that's what I use. Main reason I quit with the Mopar ECU is that "modern times" harder to find quality replacements, and the HEI gives you a hotter spark, even with the stock coil.

Pertronix sells a coil called the ignitor 3. Its primary coil winding is about what the stock GM HEI E coil is at .3 ohms. It is a metal cylindrical coil and looks like stock.

Get a mr gasket recurve spring kit. You only need to use one spring from the kit, and the lighter spring of the original 2 weight springs. This is the street setup and will bring in full mechanical advance a bit quicker than stock. Making it a bit snappier. The mr gasket advance weight spring recurve kit is about $11. The new nylon gear with thrust washer and roll pin should set you back about $10. A new o ring for the dizzy about 50 cents.

Nice thing is a mopar electronic dizzy uses same cap n rotor as points.

Send me a PM with your email addy, and i will snap a pic of my homemade schematic on how to wire in a 4 pin GM module. It needs to be mounted to a heat sink with white heat conductive grease. Most guys mount em to their inner fender.

When you mod the car with a GM HEI module, you remove the ballast resistor from the firewall, and connect the ballast resistor wires together bypassing the resistor.

The wiring mod is so easy, the hardest thing will be rebuilding the electronic dizzy, and timing it.

Welcome, put those kids to work!
You will all enjoy the time you spend working on your project!

Attachments

• kate.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 337
  • a hood.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 345
Duster Daddy like pics of the young ones workin on classics , Yes many memories my oldest daughter is 27 and she has been helping since she was a little girl and even had 2 69 el caminos and now a 74 nova.(Her weekend toy) have pics of my son when he was 5 working on my 68 chevelle he know is 18 and has a 68 c10 he is working on and drives every day to work and college... The baby girl has been helping on my chevelle and our 70 nova plus her brother and sister's vehicle's. So know she has jumped in with both feet on her own vehicle.. working on getting it running as she can drive it to school once she gets her drivers license.:burnout: The best memories for me is helpin the kids on there rides... Know to start with the grand daughter.....

Moparmat2000
Was just doing some reading on this? What would this cost to do? And would this be easier to do? have had no luck find a old distributor to rebuild.

Moparmat2000
Was just doing some reading on this? What would this cost to do? And would this be easier to do? have had no luck find a old distributor to rebuild.

Its really easier to redo an electronic one. Converting an old points one to factory electronic theres too many different parts tho they look close. Have you tried rock auto for a rebuilt electronic one. No newer than mid 70s.

Found one on rock auto rebuilt w vac advance 1977 dodge aspen with 225 slant 6. $52 plus $5 core.

Maybe someone on fabo has a decent used one to sell you cheap. Clean it up install a new o ring and a new gear and drop in in.

-
Back