Part out or sell a nice car???

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have a theoretical question. First, let me say that I have NO intention of selling my car. I was just wondering about this. Let's say I wanted to sell my car and wanted to get the absolute maximum amount of money, and wasn't in a big hurry to get the money. Part of me would hate to see a nice 69 Barracuda FB parted out, but I am thinking that I could get at least twice the amount of money by parting it out. Think about it; a car like mine with nice bucket seats, good sheet metal, great 340, 4 speed setup with console, disk brakes, AC, 3.55 Suregrip 8.75, SBP Cragars with new tires, etc, etc, etc. The car is not at ALL rare or matching numbers, but I think it is pretty nice. SO my question is in a few parts: Do you agree that one can get about twice as much by parting it out, and how would you feel about parting out a good car? Good parts from such a car could help fix up/save a lot of other cars. Again, I am NOT planning to sell my car. Someone asked me what I thought the car was worth, and it got me thinking.
Cuda58.JPG

I would never part out a good car. There is a chance u may get more parting it out, but if it’s a good car u may not. Once u start parting it out, it’s too late to go back. Kim

Oh so true...market that fish for $14k let somebody enjoy that lives to shift...then build a Demon with lenco!!just saying..

I have a theoretical question. First, let me say that I have NO intention of selling my car. I was just wondering about this. Let's say I wanted to sell my car and wanted to get the absolute maximum amount of money, and wasn't in a big hurry to get the money. Part of me would hate to see a nice 69 Barracuda FB parted out, but I am thinking that I could get at least twice the amount of money by parting it out. Think about it; a car like mine with nice bucket seats, good sheet metal, great 340, 4 speed setup with console, disk brakes, AC, 3.55 Suregrip 8.75, SBP Cragars with new tires, etc, etc, etc. The car is not at ALL rare or matching numbers, but I think it is pretty nice. SO my question is in a few parts: Do you agree that one can get about twice as much by parting it out, and how would you feel about parting out a good car? Good parts from such a car could help fix up/save a lot of other cars. Again, I am NOT planning to sell my car. Someone asked me what I thought the car was worth, and it got me thinking.View attachment 1715321737
I can't imagine parting a car out like the one pictured. If you can think of all the labor you would put into removing and prepping, shipping everything. I can't believe you would even consider it. Keep and enjoy your Barracuda and sell it to someone that will pamper it like it needs to be. Just my 2 cents.

Sad to say but parting them makes a lot of $$$....I have a real rare car...cant get no bites and I could get way more than I want if I parted it out...just hate to do it...it’s a MoPar but no worries, not an a-body...I need to make a decision real soon.

Sad to say but parting them makes a lot of $$$....I have a real rare car...cant get no bites and I could get way more than I want if I parted it out...just hate to do it...it’s a MoPar but no worries, not an a-body...I need to make a decision real soon.

Do you have it listed for sale? Here or CL? Not really looking for another car but always curious.

To answer the question - unless it is show quality or excellent original with low miles or a really rare build, yes you probably could get more parting it out. Twice might be a stretch. The best ones to part out for more money are the ones that are real crapwagons but have good bodies, a running engine, and core buckets etc. Ones that need everything re-done and missing smalls that are expensive. Cars that are very nice, like an older resto or low mile original - probably better off selling whole. Those parts aren't worth much more than the ones from the crapwagon because they will be stripped and painted anyway.

Your car - very nice. I got a '68 notchback new - 318, auto, gold w/black int. It rusted badly before I moved it to AZ in '75 so I didn't restore it. Would like to have another like it some day.

That would do a great injustice to the Mopar world. The car would cease to exist. One less Mopar. Think about that.

Leaving out the very valid aspect of loosing another mopar from the roadway for a bit, id try my darnest to sell the car whole as it is, no matter what condition.
It may seem you can make more $$ at first, and in "some" cases, $$ to $$, you can. wrecking yards do it everyday.
BUT - if you begin to part it out, at some point, its diminishing returns as all the "good" stuff will go away, then you are left with chunks of vehicle/parts that are not wanted or may take forever to give away. there is also the time and the labor factor of taking the car down to individual parts.
furthermore, you cannot then go backwards and put it all back, as the parts are now long gone.
a little bit of your soul will die as well.

I have a theoretical question.
I have a theoretical question. ... but I am thinking that I could get at least twice the amount of money by parting it out. SO my question is in a few parts: Do you agree that one can get about twice as much by parting it out, and how would you feel about parting out a good car? Good parts from such a car could help fix up/save a lot of other cars. Again, I am NOT planning to sell my car. Someone asked me what I thought the car was worth, and it got me thinking.View attachment 1715321737
Same problem as winning the lotto:
Do you want every last penny eventually?,

Or do you want a respectable amount immediately?

Parting out takes much more time than you think-you’re not selling 426 Hemi short blocks for a paltry $3750. (Mechanical parts sales thread)

Obviously if you are the manufacturer or concours restoration buff the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole, but many of us don’t give two $hit$ about matching/date coded: X, Y, Z -because that’s not our budget or forte.

Parts sales is much more fickle market than you have given credit.

In the F body world, some parts don’t come up hardly at all-or definitely not within the range you want to pay for a budget project, so parts actually DO SELL FAST in that limited market (WHEN PRICED RIGHT) and sit forever while over priced.

Sure a shark tooth grille (before recent remanufacturing) drove prices, and the market for SOME cars has again climbed high enough for the concours restoration companies, but you are talking about 68-69 chargers selling past $100K again and certain e bodies, or perhaps if there is such a thing as a limited run of numbers matching 440(?)/426 a body cars...

How long do you want to ship, log online, post, respond, negotiate, refuse, accept, shipping was damaged....parts???

Last edited:
That would do a great injustice to the Mopar world. The car would cease to exist. One less Mopar. Think about that.
I disagree. Heart, kidney, liver transplants to other survivors that continue on.
Many a (LOL) ‘Mighty’ mopar f body has died for my Aspens.
-more parts cars than Bothans that died to deliver the news to the rebel alliance that the emperor oversees the completion of the new Death Star!

Of course 99% here don’t give two stinks about an F body or a K car!

I have a theoretical question. First, let me say that I have NO intention of selling my car. I was just wondering about this. Let's say I wanted to sell my car and wanted to get the absolute maximum amount of money, and wasn't in a big hurry to get the money. Part of me would hate to see a nice 69 Barracuda FB parted out, but I am thinking that I could get at least twice the amount of money by parting it out. Think about it; a car like mine with nice bucket seats, good sheet metal, great 340, 4 speed setup with console, disk brakes, AC, 3.55 Suregrip 8.75, SBP Cragars with new tires, etc, etc, etc. The car is not at ALL rare or matching numbers, but I think it is pretty nice. SO my question is in a few parts: Do you agree that one can get about twice as much by parting it out, and how would you feel about parting out a good car? Good parts from such a car could help fix up/save a lot of other cars. Again, I am NOT planning to sell my car. Someone asked me what I thought the car was worth, and it got me thinking.View attachment 1715321737

Looks too darn nice to even think about it !! jmo

sure its worth more parting out. but at the same time how much is your time worth pulling all that **** apart, listing it and dealing with all the assholes that reply to the ads? and having all that **** laying around until it finally sells. doubt it will sell real fast..

for me i'd rather sell in one piece, get all the money at once (even if less then i'd get over months trying to sell it in parts) and be done with the thing and assholes that will stand you up, offer ya half what you are asking etc...etc...etc..

and personally you would have to be a real asshole to part that out if its as clean as it looks...

To answer the question - unless it is show quality or excellent original with low miles or a really rare build, yes you probably could get more parting it out. Twice might be a stretch. The best ones to part out for more money are the ones that are real crapwagons but have good bodies, a running engine, and core buckets etc. Ones that need everything re-done and missing smalls that are expensive. Cars that are very nice, like an older resto or low mile original - probably better off selling whole. Those parts aren't worth much more than the ones from the crapwagon because they will be stripped and painted anyway.

Your car - very nice. I got a '68 notchback new - 318, auto, gold w/black int. It rusted badly before I moved it to AZ in '75 so I didn't restore it. Would like to have another like it some day.

I have two of what you would concider as "crapwagons" i have seen people part out decent project cars needing some metal work because it was "beyond" their capabilities. Not everyone can weld or fabricate. If its a decent project car thats beyond your capabilities , then sell it whole to someone who can. I have also seen a lot of talented people on here do metalwork that was beyond my capabilities, and i am pretty capable with that stuff. As far as my "crapwagons" go, i dont care if they are not the uber rare ones. I intend to restore both. One of em with my son for him. Being as they are not the uber rare ones, they can actually be driven a lot and enjoyed.

My theory is this, if you cant hang new quarters on it, or replace floor pans, but rest of it is pretty solid, and you aint got the scratch to pay somebody to do it, then sell it to someone who can!! Its all good, not everybody can do arts and crafts. i understand more than most people out there that some people do arts and crap. I work in the aviation industry where you dont just give anybody a drill to repair aircraft sheetmetal. Remember they arent making ANYMORE of these cars. They are slowly dwindling down. Just some food for thought.

sure its worth more parting out. but at the same time how much is your time worth pulling all that **** apart, listing it and dealing with all the assholes that reply to the ads? and having all that **** laying around until it finally sells. doubt it will sell real fast..

for me i'd rather sell in one piece, get all the money at once (even if less then i'd get over months trying to sell it in parts) and be done with the thing and assholes that will stand you up, offer ya half what you are asking etc...etc...etc..

and personally you would have to be a real asshole to part that out if its as clean as it looks...
Joe, hit the nail on the head. Parting out a car is a lot of work and know fun. And their is always assholes to deal with. Then again I deal with A holes every time I get behind the wheel.

Last edited:
If you have ever parted cars other than E bodies or some really clean 70 B bodies out before, you'd realize you will never get twice the money for a car - even that nice. PLus you have to store the crap, ship the crap, trundle crap to swaps... It ain;t worth it.

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts. Again I want to emphasize that I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SELLING / PARTING OUT MY CAR. I enjoy it way too much, and I do have hundreds of hours in it since I did everything. I was just curious what the forum thought about the concept. I think I have to agree that parting out a good car would be a bad idea. You might not go to hell though.

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts. Again I want to emphasize that I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SELLING / PARTING OUT MY CAR. I enjoy it way too much, and I do have hundreds of hours in it since I did everything. I was just curious what the forum thought about the concept. I think I have to agree that parting out a good car would be a bad idea. You might not go to hell though.

I'm with you on enjoying your nice example of the early Cudas. But you have to agree the hell response was worth a couple of chuckles ;)

I disagree. Heart, kidney, liver transplants to other survivors that continue on.
Many a (LOL) ‘Mighty’ mopar f body has died for my Aspens.
-more parts cars than Bothans that died to deliver the news to the rebel alliance that the emperor oversees the completion of the new Death Star!

Of course 99% here don’t give two stinks about an F body or a K car!

I would disagree to but he said nice car. You don't part out a nice car. And as far as F bodies go, I would just throw them away. lol

You might not go to hell though.

I've been in and out of the parts business since 1986. You will go through hell. Every time. Sometimes the payment is worth it, most times, at least in my experience, I only do it because I need the money so the irritation is not an issue. But it's always a pain in the *** in some form or another, and especially with non E or B body stuff - it's rarely worth what you think it should be. The market is shrinking. Dying, as it's real enthusiasts pass away, actually. So I've found parts prices dropping because stuff doesn't sell for a while.

-
Back