parts interchangeability ??

-

moper

Reaction score
Because I have no clue...
Are the early 60s As similar to the mid 60s early As? In terms of a V8 swap to a push button chassis would a '65 2-cable trans work? Would the '65 V8 exhaust manifolds work? Oil pans the same? They need the centerlink and V8 gas pedal? Do the '64/'65 engine mounts work?

So 95 looks and nobody has commented? I'm starting to feel better about my ignorance...lol.

Are you asking 61-62 because I am not sure there. I know 63 needs work in the wiper motor area to put in a V8 but I understand the mounts and all interchange.

There's another member looking for V8 swap parts. I have most of it - but I have no clue if they'll work and I'm sure he doesn't either. I'm just trying to avoid him spending needlessly or me trying to sell something useless. He has a 62.

I think the firewall will have to be modified to accept the v8 distributer from the 1963 and before. 1964 and up your ok. mounts have to be changed to the v8 mounts. originals will be a tough find but theres allways schumaker(I know I spelled it wrong). The tranny / push button , linkage changed by the year so I would think you should make sure the linkage all matched from one year

I've seen the K members of the early early A bodies, and they look nothing like the 63-66 unit! I believe the 63 I had was also different than the 64 units, not a flat bottomed cradle like the 64-66! I don't know much about 62 and earlier except that they didn't come with any V8 option at all!! Sorry I can't be of help here!!

Thanks Guys - you filled in more blanks than I could...lol.

I looked over a 62 Valiant in Salt Lake City that the guy had put a 416 in. He used the pushbutton 904 from a 64. He did a real sanitary job. He had to modify the firewall quite a bit and had relocated the heater to underneath the dash with a custom built heater\air conditioner unit. I know it had Spitfire headers and I was surprised they fit without modification. Unfortunately I didn't examine the Kframe or steering linkage in detail. It seems he told me the 62 had the same kframe as the 64/65 cars and he just used the dropped centerlink from a 64. I know he put later disk brakes on it. He also modified the radiator core support to hold an Afco aluminum radiator with Taurus fan. I was too absorbed in the factory looking heater/AC job that was in it to get into the other details. I still kick myself for not buying that car

Last edited:
Your initial question is ill-posed, hence little response. 1963-66 A's are nominally the same, but important differences (some mentioned). 1967+ are very different.

V-8's started in 1964. The cable-shift disappeared in 1966. 1965 did not have push-button shift, but did have the same 1963-64 transmission, but some say the 1965 valve body is unique. Fitting a small-block V-8 into a 1963 takes more work since the factory distributor bumps into the firewall bulge. I think some have fit even a big-block into 1962-63 A's, but I am sure much customization, and those are mostly drag-race only. Even changing from slant to small-block in a 1964-65 requires many changes (steering linkage, ...).

Hi Bill,
I'm not sure how changing the words would help here. It's pretty basic - what fits? I know 64 and later - I know nothing about the earlier versions. Which is what I thought I asked. For instance - will the V8 mounts work on the K frame of a car that was not offered with an 8? And so forth. AS I also said - the benefit here was not for me, rather a potential buyer who didn;t seem to have more of a clue than I did. It's all good. Thanks for your thoughts.

-
Back