parts source

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
I need a primary brake shoe return spring for my 66 barracuda with 10 inch drum brakes. I looked on Dr differential site, but none listed. I would buy a complete hardware kit or just the spring if I can find one. Any suggestions on a source for this?

Most any parts store, RockAuto $5-6 for the kit.
CARLSON H7129
CENTRIC 11863004
RAYBESTOS H7129
118.63004_Kit__ra_p.jpg

Thanks. I looked at the illustration on rock auto, but the springs did not look like mine. I Will out the raybestos part.
Make sure the kit you get is for the 66. I see springs in the above photo that are for the '69 up brakes. The shoe return springs may be the same for both types but I don't know for sure. Check that out before if you can.

Make sure the kit you get is for the 66. I see springs in the above photo that are for the '69 up brakes. The shoe return springs may be the same for both types but I don't know for sure. Check that out before if you can.
You are correct. I ordered one and should have it tomorrow. They show no part number for a 66. The return spring looks to be the same and that's all I really need.

The return springs in this kit worked. The return springs and pins were too long in hit the drum, and the adjuster spring was not the same.
IMAG0537.jpg

H7129 is 1969 + up only...
1962 - 1968 is different --
I know that. I could not find any listing for a 1966. The return spring did not fix the issue I'm having with the brakes not releasing. I just don't know what else to do. I have sent the booster to booster Dewey twice. They rebuilt it, set the rod length and mounted the new master cylinder. I have replaced the wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses, return springs. Adjusted and bled the brakes. Still very low pedal and pedal will not come back up without putting your foot under it and lifting it. The car is all original with only 32 K miles, and I can't take it anywhere because of the brakes. I just don't know what else to do. The only thing I can think of is to check the rod length again, but Booster Dewey has the master cylinder stuck so hard on the booster I would have to beat it off with a hammer. I took the car to a good mechanic here in Kansas City, they say bad booster, and I send it to Portland and Dewey says it's OK. Anyone know of a shop or member in the Kansas City area that could help me get this problem figured out?

I believe I found the problem. I have been chasing this problem for a long time, so I removed the brake pedal, master cylinder, booster and linkage. The linkage was bent up and twisted. The booster was bad when I picked up the car, and I suspect someone drove it with a bad booster and stood on the brake pedal with both feet to get it to stop, bending the linkage. I straightened everything out, cleaned and lubricated all the pivot points, and reinstalled everything. I will bleed the master cylinder and wheels, adjust the brakes in the morning and hope this problem is solved. I'm pretty sure it will be good to go. Thanks for the reply's.
IMAG0541.jpg

I believe I found the problem. I have been chasing this problem for a long time, so I removed the brake pedal, master cylinder, booster and linkage. The linkage was bent up and twisted. The booster was bad when I picked up the car, and I suspect someone drove it with a bad booster and stood on the brake pedal with both feet to get it to stop, bending the linkage. I straightened everything out, cleaned and lubricated all the pivot points, and reinstalled everything. I will bleed the master cylinder and wheels, adjust the brakes in the morning and hope this problem is solved. I'm pretty sure it will be good to go. Thanks for the reply's.View attachment 1715511266
Well so much for that. Bled the master cylinder and wheels. Still very low pedal and pedal still will not return. I have replaced everything in the system except the steel lines. I have disconnected the emergency brake, so I know it is not the problem, I just do not know what else to do. I'm thinking of switching to manual brakes. Is anything needed for that swap other than a master cylinder and rod on a 1966.

My recollection is the fixed caliper K-H booster should lower the brake pedal's inital position.
Should be a spring on the clutch and bracke pedals too? yes?

No spring on my brake pedal, car is auto trans.
Your right. In fact either way, I think the only other return springs besides the ones on the shows are the ones in the master cylinder bore.

I know that. I could not find any listing for a 1966. The return spring did not fix the issue I'm having with the brakes not releasing. I just don't know what else to do. I have sent the booster to booster Dewey twice. They rebuilt it, set the rod length and mounted the new master cylinder. I have replaced the wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses, return springs. Adjusted and bled the brakes. Still very low pedal and pedal will not come back up without putting your foot under it and lifting it. The car is all original with only 32 K miles, and I can't take it anywhere because of the brakes. I just don't know what else to do. The only thing I can think of is to check the rod length again, but Booster Dewey has the master cylinder stuck so hard on the booster I would have to beat it off with a hammer. I took the car to a good mechanic here in Kansas City, they say bad booster, and I send it to Portland and Dewey says it's OK. Anyone know of a shop or member in the Kansas City area that could help me get this problem figured out?
I worked for a brake company in Portland Oregon. They rebuild anything booster related (atleast when I was there) place is called BSI or Brake Systems Incorporated. Ask for Rob, good friend of mine and a motorhead, he'll make it happen . Good luck!

-
Back