PCV and Breather question

-

klumppm1

Reaction score
I recently did a carb swap on my '65 170 auto to a Carter BBD (made for slant 6 application - curved PCV fitting, thick choke airhorn, and no bowl vent fitting). The car runs beautiful. However, I am now seeing small amounts of smoke (no oil) coming from my oil fill cap (front black cap in photo). Is this normal? The PCV is connected by hose to my carb via the curved PCV fitting on the rear of the carb. The PCV valve was checked, and cleaned and is working as it should. I have capped all the fittings on my carb except for the fittings for the distributor, and the PCV (which are hooked up) just like in this diagram.

20190517_102439.jpg

BBD diagram.jpg

Last edited:
oil fill is also your breather, have you checked it to be sure it is clean? when do you get the smoke?

I clean it once each spring with gas. I have not cleaned it yet this year. It smokes all the time at idle.

might be something going bad internally? rings, seals. you know how it works, once you fix one thing.....
any smoke from the exhaust?

It smokes all the time at idle.

Is the smoke coming from around where the cap goes into the VC or out of the breather holes?

IF it's coming from where it goes into the VC, take the breather off, turn it over, and ever so slightly tap on each one of the tangs so when installed it fits a little tighter.

More than likely your seeing that because of excessive blow by. Compression getting by the rings. Is it a old build or original engine?

Is the smoke coming from around where the cap goes into the VC or out of the breather holes?

IF it's coming from where it goes into the VC, take the breather off, turn it over, and ever so slightly tap on each one of the tangs so when installed it fits a little tighter.
Just from the breather holes.

So since the older autos only register 99,999 before it rolls over to 00,000, How do you know it's not 132,000? Also if it is original 32K, it could have stuck oil or compression rings.

So since the older autos only register 99,999 before it rolls over to 00,000, How do you know it's not 132,000? Also if it is original 32K, it could have stuck oil or compression rings.
I bought it from a local who was the original owner. She had all the service records etc.. But, yes. I was thinking maybe blow-by also.

Still drive able, when it gets so bad that it starts pushing the dip stick out and pushing oil out. Then it's rebuild time.

it does sound like that nice new carb exposed some other issues or were you trying to fix the smoking with the new carb?

That breather is an open system. Anytime the engine is working hard, the PCV system may be overwhelmed. When this happens, the breather starts working in reverse, and vents the blowby gasses. This is normal operation. If it didn't work like this, the pressure would blow seals out and dipsticks.
Later model cars had a big hose venting those blow-by gasses into the air cleaner to prevent the mess on the valve cover. This was called a closed system.If you don't want to convert, you can still use the later breather with the nipple and route the fumes down beside the engine and terminate somewhere out of the path of flying road debris.... so that when the PCV is sucking, it doesn't suck gravelnchit.
As to the source of the fumes, that's another story. It could be rings, or it could be more serious... or it could just be stuck oil-rings. That's kindof common with engines that have sat for long periods. You could try a conditioner.
But if it smokes at idle, and the PCV system is known to be working, then there is something seriously wrong. I would pop that PCV out of the grommet and with the engine running, take it right out of the hose. The engine should immediately stall. If it doesn't then that hose may be coked up so pull it off the carb. Now it better stall. But if it doesn't,then pull the carb off and make sure you got the right base-gasket installed on there.
But if it passes the stall test then install a new PCV.
If it still smokes at idle, with the now proven to be working PCV system, AND conditioner having been run thru the engine, then a compression test is next on my to-do list.

Last edited:
Do you have suction at the pvc inlet? If so how much? (Does It holds on to your finger like a baby cow to a tit??)

That breather is an open system. Anytime the engine is working hard, the PCV system may be overwhelmed. When this happens, the breather starts working in reverse, and vents the blowby gasses. This is normal operation. If it didn't work like this, the pressure would blow seals out and dipsticks.
Later model cars had a big hose venting those blow-by gasses into the air cleaner to prevent the mess on the valve cover. This was called a closed system.If you don't want to convert, you can still use the later breather with the nipple and route the fumes down beside the engine and terminate somewhere out of the path of flying road debris.... so that when the PCV is sucking, it doesn't suck gravelnchit.
As to the source of the fumes, that's another story. It could be rings, or it could be more serious... or it could just be stuck oil-rings. That's kindof common with engines that have sat for long periods. You could try a conditioner.
But if it smokes at idle, and the PCV system is known to be working, then there is something seriously wrong. I would pop that PCV out of the grommet and with the engine running, take it right out of the hose. The engine should immediately stall. If it doesn't then that hose may be coked up so pull it off the carb. Now it better stall. But if it doesn't,then pull the carb off and make sure you got the right base-gasket installed on there.
But if it passes the stall test then install a new PCV.
If it still smokes at idle, with the now proven to be working PCV system, AND conditioner having been run thru the engine, then a compression test is next on my to-do list.
Wow. Good info. Thanks. I did pull the hose from the carb fitting and it stalled instantly. I will look into a new PCV valve as this looks to be the original one, or it's ay least very years old. I just need to research the correct PCV for replacement. Thanks again.

-
Back