PCV Port

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got new valve covers and they are different from my stock covers. On my stock covers it had a PCV port that a hose ran from into the carburetor. My new covers do not have this, what is the recommended action to take to correct this with my new valve covers?

Thanks!

20200403_153553.jpg

20200403_153651.jpg

20200403_153855.jpg

One valve cover needs the breather and the other should have the PCV valve in it. Not sure about those particular covers, but most like those don’t use a Chrysler sized PCV valve. I can measure mine later today and post up what size the hole is an the diameter of the PCV valve itself.

remove breather from new cover and shop summit for the appropriate adapter to install a PCV. someone here must have a good part#

One valve cover needs the breather and the other should have the PCV valve in it. Not sure about those particular covers, but most like those don’t use a Chrysler sized PCV valve. I can measure mine later today and post up what size the hole is an the diameter of the PCV valve itself.

Would I have to cut the hole in them? There are 2 holes aredly cut 1 in each cover currently.

Left side has a breather? Right side is just a cap.
20200328_215916.jpg

I don't know if that is a push-in or twist in (bayonet) breather, but back in the day, with the bayonet style, I used to use 60's--70's Ford style breathers which have a PVC gromment in the top. You could get chrome ones used on such things a 390 Mooostangs

This one from Summit is a little pricy, and seems to be set up for the air filter end

Scott Drake Valve Cover Oil Caps C8AZ-6766-B

sdk-c8az-6766-b_cp_ml.jpg

I don't know if that is a push-in or twist in (bayonet) breather, but back in the day, with the bayonet style, I used to use 60's--70's Ford style breathers which have a PVC gromment in the top. You could get chrome ones used on such things a 390 Mooostangs

This one from Summit is a little pricy, and seems to be set up for the air filter end

Scott Drake Valve Cover Oil Caps C8AZ-6766-B

View attachment 1715499960

It is a twist on breather (bayonet)

I wonder if oreillys would have one of those things sitting on one of the racks, that would be nice.

measure the hole in yours and start shopping

Yes sir! I actually have to go and return something at Oreillys and pick up my valve cover studs so I'll take the valve covers with me!

I was worried I was going to have to drill out some kind of hole. A premade cap would be perfect, as it keeps me from breaking something :D

You might be able to find a gromit that will fit. I seem to recall 60s ford 289 302 having a gromit that fit into a he with the twist on ear slots

I machine them out. Some of them are made so you can knock out the hole in the valve cover.

Also, make sure there is a baffle under the breather and the PCV valve.

What is the ID of the hole. What is the ID of the machined opening.

OReillys and autozone only had push on caps. I bought one but dont know it it will work as the grommet doesn't cover the full opening.

I took the gasket off my twist on cap put it on the bottom of the push on pcv filter cap then use grommet to hold everything in place on bottom side of valve cover. It's pretty tight but I think a twist on will be better to get.

20200403_172734.jpg

20200403_173059.jpg

20200403_173055.jpg

I'd use that push in breather and drill a second hole in the valve cover with the fill cap.

You definitely could. Just saying what I would do - I hate waiting on ordered parts! LOL

You definitely could. Just saying what I would do - I hate waiting on ordered parts! LOL

Me too! Which is why I always go to oreillys first and ask in here. I feel bad if someone gets "annoyed" if I say or do something wrong though. I'm still leaning this stuff.

Plus I really dont want to drill another hole in the valve covers lol.

Me too! Which is why I always go to oreillys first and ask in here. I feel bad if someone gets "annoyed" if I say or do something wrong though. I'm still leaning this stuff.

Plus I really dont want to drill another hole in the valve covers lol.

If someone gets annoyed, that's their problem! Hah. We all want things how we want them and there's nothing wrong with how you want to set it up. It will work just fine once the right parts come in though.

Make sure you have a baffle under wherever you put the PCV valve. I noticed that a pic you posted of the inside over the valve cover has the cast in, threaded bosses for the baffle, but it's not in place. Look at the inside of your old stock valve covers and it will be obvious why. Just imagine sucking up engine oil and dumping it in your carb...

If you use the twist on breather as your oil fill, you might switch sides for your valve covers so the fill is in front instead of in the back.
If you leave the PCV out you will definitely find oil leaks that you never knew you had!

Make sure you have a baffle under wherever you put the PCV valve. I noticed that a pic you posted of the inside over the valve cover has the cast in, threaded bosses for the baffle, but it's not in place. Look at the inside of your old stock valve covers and it will be obvious why. Just imagine sucking up engine oil and dumping it in your carb...

If you use the twist on breather as your oil fill, you might switch sides for your valve covers so the fill is in front instead of in the back.
If you leave the PCV out you will definitely find oil leaks that you never knew you had!

I dont have a baffle for these valve covers, I got the cover from a member here, I guess I will have to find some.

its just a piece of sheet metal, don't overthink it. Cut out something that works, round the corners, drill holes that match the places to screw it in. As long as it draws air to the valve, you are fine, don't make it fit tight to the valve cover so any oil that goes in can drain back out. The rockers just fling oil around in the valve cover and you don't want it to get sucked right into the PCV

its just a piece of sheet metal, don't overthink it. Cut out something that works, round the corners, drill holes that match the places to screw it in. As long as it draws air to the valve, you are fine, don't make it fit tight to the valve cover so any oil that goes in can drain back out. The rockers just fling oil around in the valve cover and you don't want it to get sucked right into the PCV

Oh ok I can make something, I have some thin sheet metal in my garage. Does it need to be as big as the one on my stock covers?

Can I not use this breather
If you use that breather as PVC location some of the vacuum will suck outside air through the vent holes around the perimeter.,

IMHO

Use that breather on the driver's side.
Measure the ID of the he the passenger side would twist into and look online for a gromit that will fit. If it has a he in the center great if not you can drill one, or even melt one. Heat the correct OD tubing for your PCV valve and just press it thru the center of the rubber. There are many PCV gaskets on the market. I'm sure you can find one.

If you want to drive it tonight. Cap off the port on the carb, might have to speed up the idle to compensate for the lack of vacuum leak.

If you can find a cap like in post 5 use that with your cap in post 14. I would not use the cap (right side photo post 4)

It is a twist on breather (bayonet)

I wonder if oreillys would have one of those things sitting on one of the racks, that would be nice.

The ones at the parts stores are cheap POS. For one thing, the bayonet tabs are cheap and bend, they don't stay tight and they leak. "Been there done that." I have no suggestions except "look for quality" The thing about using that type is it gives you a baffle "built in"

Made another run to the auto store today to look for a grommet that may work. This is what I came up with. Mopar PCV grommet from Oreillys part #42344.

I traced the outline of the cutout on the valve covers, then traced and cut that outline onto the grommet.

The grommet fits on there nice and snug, then pushing and pulling the pcv breather out of the hole is super snug. I may throw a little gasket shellac on the edge of the grommet where it makes with the valve cover just to make sure nothing can seap out.

I'd love to find some mopar pcv and breathers for both sides one day but for now I think this should work. I'm going to work on some baffles now. Trying to decide between 1 large one or a couple of small ones on each side.

20200404_133326.jpg

20200404_133301.jpg

20200404_133249.jpg

20200404_133519.jpg

20200404_133528.jpg

20200404_133611.jpg

20200404_133624.jpg

20200404_133848.jpg

20200403_214844.jpg

-
Back